My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a JD 210 and am in the process of fixing it up. I spun the motor (K241AQS) by the pulley easily by hand so I tried hooking a battery to it and turning it over. After about two seconds of spinning white smoke came from the area around the starter and many wires were very hot around that area. It also didn't sound like the starter was engaging but I don't know with only having the ignition on for a short time. I'm a little scared to try again with the smoke and all and am wondering what others think I should do. The battery is a super start premium with 575 CCA.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Off of the top of my head, I'm thinking bad solenoid or bad starter motor, but "many wires were very hot" is confusing. The 210 has 3 wiring diagrams based on the serial number of thee tractor. Please post your serial number. Here's something you can try:
One post on your solenoid should have 3 wires on it, a large black going to the battery, a small red going to your tractor wiring, and a small purple wire that sends power to the solenoid. Remove the purple wire and tape end to be sure it can't touch any metal parts. Next, turn key to "On" (or "Run") for a minute or 2 and see if anything smokes or gets hot. If OK, turn key to "Start" and hold while again looking for smoke. If no smoke or hot wires, solenoid or starter motor issue. Do these checks and report back with results. I've attached the wiring diagrams, but have a question: Do you have a meter and are you familiar with how to use it? Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
7,690 Posts
Maybe also check for burned/melted wiring in the area, as you want to fix them before trying again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Off of the top of my head, I'm thinking bad solenoid or bad starter motor, but "many wires were very hot" is confusing. The 210 has 3 wiring diagrams based on the serial number of thee tractor. Please post your serial number. Here's something you can try:
One post on your solenoid should have 3 wires on it, a large black going to the battery, a small red going to your tractor wiring, and a small purple wire that sends power to the solenoid. Remove the purple wire and tape end to be sure it can't touch any metal parts. Next, turn key to "On" (or "Run") for a minute or 2 and see if anything smokes or gets hot. If OK, turn key to "Start" and hold while again looking for smoke. If no smoke or hot wires, solenoid or starter motor issue. Do these checks and report back with results. I've attached the wiring diagrams, but have a question: Do you have a meter and are you familiar with how to use it? Bob
[/QUO
Thanks for the advice! I’ll try it as soon as I can and report the results. The serial number is 0210J 120993M.
Rectangle Font Nameplate Commemorative plaque Circle

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
OK, so your tractor should be wired as shown in 2nd diagram for 70,001-190,000. The checks I called out will still work. Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I found the purple wire but want to make sure before I try. Is the purple wire in the picture the correct one?
Green Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas

·
Premium Member
2019 JD X570, 1996 JD 445, 2003 L110, 1978 212
914 Posts
I would also look closely at the black 6 gauge wire going from the solenoid to the starter. It appears as if it may be rubbing on the lift linkage. That could have worn the insulation off the cable and create a short when trying to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that must be what it was cause I just put the wire back and fiddled around some more with the other wires and tried it again and it turns the motor like a dream. Thanks so much for the help and I’ll post again if another issue arises.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I would look closely at all the wires until you find the one that has damage to the outer insulation. Easily fixed with electrical tape or new cable. Then make sure you route it or cable tie it away from where the rubbing occurred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey y’all! Motors turns great with the starter but I can’t get a spark. I already installed brand new points, spark plug, and plug wire cause they were all visibly damaged/very crusty. Looking at the ignition coil I see two black wires (one on top and one on bottom of coil). The top one goes into a harness that contains the previously talked about purple wire and goes up to the key. Coming from the key there is a yellow wire not connected to anything. Coming from the harness there is also a yellow wire not connected to anything. I looked at the wire diagram and couldn’t find them. Do these two yellow wires (one from key and one from harness) have anything to do with the lack of spark and if they don’t, what else could cause it?

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
The coil should have marking as positive and negative. Positive will be the feed from the ignition switch (12v), the negative should have the wire going to the points along with the condensor wire. To my knowledge these are the only 3 wires connected directly to the coil.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Also be sure that your condenser is grounded and working. No ground no spark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts