2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FC540V
KAWASAKI
FC540V-CS00
ENGINE: FFC540V154752
SN: M00185B026544

185 HYDRO JOHN DEERE

That is the information I have from my neighbors JD. He pulled me over there to see if I knew anything about what was going on. I found the carb on JD parts AM109291 CARBURETOR. On the top of the car there is what appears to be a vent? That vent doesn't have anything plugging it in the parts diagram but it is dumping the fuel out. As a temp fix I put a hose and plugged the hose as it was suppose to rain, grass was tall, his daughter was having their grad party there this weekend so it needed mowing and it was getting dark. I even ended up helping with my 332 in the dark.

The engine pulses some but it rain. He was mowing the ditch at the end about to finish and it died and couldn't restart. It did seem to smoke some at start up.

History. Doesn't burn oil at all. Just had the fuel tank cleaned and a new fuel cap and fuel pump just last fall and it rain without issue. When mowing it yesterday it did seem as he "thought" burned more fuel then normal.

So-is that a Vent on the top of the carb and if so why is it leaking and if not what next? I am much better with diesels as I am not fond of carbs. For those that would like to know it has ethanol free fuel and has for several years. But it has run ethanol at one time (not starting a war on that-just stating facts).

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
For some reason the float needle is not shutting off the fuel flow into the float bowl and the only place the excess fuel has to go is out the vent hose.

Could be trash in the needle seat, bad needle, or a bad float. You may can pull the float bowl without removing the carb from the motor.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that is a vent? I am not familiar with carbs having vents but then again my brother was the better carb person.

Thank you rayjay.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
All float bowls must be vented to the atmosphere for a carb to function. Atmospheric pressure is what forces the fuel up through the jets.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Makes sense after you explained. Can you tell I am more familiar with diesels? I will look into possibly fixing for him tomorrow. Since his fuel pump was just changed maybe that introduced something into the float area.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. I took the carb off and sprayed some things out with carb cleaner. Took the plug off the carb vent and replaced the fuel filter as it didn't look like it had been done in years. Everything seemed to run fine now and no fuel dumping out. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts