My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The farther into my project I get the more little things that are missing or broken.

The latest item is the carburetor. When I was removing it to clean it I noticed that the small spring that holds the throttle butterfly closed is broken. John Deere does not have a part number and is telling me it is obsolete. Their solution is to sell me an entire carb. After scouring the internet I belive the correct part I am looking for is a Kawasaki #92081-2341 spring. Unfortunately I cannot find one and have been told it is no longer available.

Of course this is the last little thing I need to get it fired up and running (at least I hope so). Unfortunately I am not in the position to buy a new carb, especially when the one I have looks to be rather clean.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to look for one or even have one that they would like to sell? I am also open to any other ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
You should be able to start and run it even with that spring broke. The engines governor should keep the speed under control. Worst case you could add a tension spring to the throttle linkage that helps return the carb to idle. The first time you try to start it just keep you hands on the key in case you need to shut the engine down in a hurry. Roger

·
Registered
645 Posts
The farther into my project I get the more little things that are missing or broken.

The latest item is the carburetor. When I was removing it to clean it I noticed that the small spring that holds the throttle butterfly closed is broken. John Deere does not have a part number and is telling me it is obsolete. Their solution is to sell me an entire carb. After scouring the internet I belive the correct part I am looking for is a Kawasaki #92081-2341 spring. Unfortunately I cannot find one and have been told it is no longer available.

Of course this is the last little thing I need to get it fired up and running (at least I hope so). Unfortunately I am not in the position to buy a new carb, especially when the one I have looks to be rather clean.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to look for one or even have one that they would like to sell? I am also open to any other ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Isn't it funny that the individual part is not available but you can buy the whole thing with the part you need? Get used to this kind of insanity when dealing with Deere. Also, as it relates to engine parts, John Deere wants you to buy everything from them but if you tinker with the spec number (either BS-00 or AS-00) you can sometimes find the part you need from someone else. Start with AS-01 (or BS-01) the go to AS-02, etc.

Like the other poster said, that spring is not essential so just move on to the next issue that needs remedy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put everything back together and tried to fire it up. I would fire up at full throttle. It actually sounded like it was much higher than full throttle. I immediately shut it off. When you move the throttle lever it only moves the choke butterfly. Is that correct or does it sound like I am missing a linkage? I am wondering if the governor is bad inside the case. The last thing I want to do is pull the motor and tear it apart. I have just installed a new fuel pump and lines, so I know that is not the issue.

The motor has not run in several years. Should I let it run wide open to let it warm up and see if the governor kicks in? I just don't want to destroy it.

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
You need to find a manual for that 185 and make all the throttle/governor/idle adjustments according to specs. Plus you'll see how things go together. It's possible you are missing a linkage or it's just an adjustment. Take a picture of the linkage and post it. Maybe someone will help you out.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I put everything back together and tried to fire it up. I would fire up at full throttle. It actually sounded like it was much higher than full throttle. I immediately shut it off. When you move the throttle lever it only moves the choke butterfly. Is that correct or does it sound like I am missing a linkage? I am wondering if the governor is bad inside the case. The last thing I want to do is pull the motor and tear it apart. I have just installed a new fuel pump and lines, so I know that is not the issue.

The motor has not run in several years. Should I let it run wide open to let it warm up and see if the governor kicks in? I just don't want to destroy it.
Both of my 185s are in northern Michigan so I can't take pictures but if you are looking at the carb while it's mounted to the engine the bitterfly closest to you is the choke and the other one, closest to the engine is the throttle. It is possible to accidently cross the linkages but I don't think they will move anything while they are crossed.

When you move the throttle from idle all the way up the choke plate shouldn't move until you are almost all the way to the top. If that's not happening you need to get the linkages sorted out. Once that is done you can focus on carburetion issues but in my experience if the engine has been left to sit for a long time it's time to find a new or clean used carb because the main fuel circuit is made of three pieces which will undoubetly be dirty and as soon as you try to take them out they will shatter and fall to pieces.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,995 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the linkages in the correct places and I believe it is all there according to the diagrams that I have seen. I already went through the carb and cleaned it out. I was amazed at how clean it was. It does not look like it was left with old fuel but rather ran dry before parked.

I started it earlier today with my hand on the governor linkage to manually control the throttle. It was idling a little too fast and was smoking a little but I have not been able to tune the carb yet. Overall it sounded pretty good. The issue is still once you let go of the governor linkage it will start to rev extremely high and the governor will not slow it down. I will try to adjust the linkage tonight to see if it had previously been played with. Can the governor just wear out or possible stick when sitting for a while?

Also, I am curious as to what exactly controls the throttle. When you move the throttle lever it only moves the linkage that is connected to the choke. The only bar that is hooked to the throttle comes from the governor linkage which is not directly controled by the throttle lever.

The good news to all of this is that I know the hydro works. When I had it started for the 5 minutes it would spin both forward are reverse. Now if only I could get the engine speed under control I might be able to get it out of the garage. I will try and take some pics tonight.

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, mine does look like that. Here are a few pics.

One linkage goes from the throttle to the governor linkage.
And one goes from the choke back to the control.

As I mentioned earlier, with the engine off, when you adjust the throttle lever it does not move the throttle butterfly. It will only move the choke when fully engaged. It looks correct from the diagrams that I have seen but I cannot get it too idle down.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
It may not be the full problem but that engine must have the air cleaner on to run right. Without the air cleaner on the carb is just sitting loose on the studs and will have huge air/vacuum leaks causing the engine to run very fast. Roger

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Good point Roger, that is absolutely true. @ kucorrado, when you move the throttle lever/linkage the governor arm should move too. If that is not occurring you need to figure out why. I'd guess there is a breakage or maladjustment on the back of that linkage plate that we can't see in the pics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I have spent some time working on her lately. Long story short, the governor was completely destroyed in the case. I cleaned everything out, installed a new governor, seal and gasket and got her running. I had her out of the garage under her own power for the first time.

She stills seems to be running a little fast. The bigger concern I have is it is smoking quite a bit and seems to be excessively loud. When started it will fill the garage with smoke and then back off a little. Even after it has been running for 5-10 minutes it seems to smoke a lot. After doing a little research it sounds like the head gasket could be the cause of my problems. Would a blown head gasket contribute to the noise level? Any other suggestions as to what could be the problem?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts