My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 170 with a bad tranny. It slips in most gear except reverse. Most claim it is some keys in the tranny. Just got the tranny apart and all looks well. How do I know if the keys are bad? Where is the best place to get new ones and what else should I replace. Keep in mind I do not want to stick much into this. Thanks in advance.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Abbby, sorry to hear you are having issues with your 170, I see you mention it's a Peerless, are there any identifying numbers or a tag on the transmission or axle ?, if so let us know, hopefully one of the guys familiar with the peerless will be along, so keep checking in :fing32:.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 801 series Tecumseh Peerless. Sounds like it is most likley the (4) keys on the one shaft. Everything else looks good. Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
a 170 would have a gear shift...How can a gear drive slip??? it either works or it don't,a hydro can slip,i'm guessing your drive belt is old,stretched and cracked

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
If toscani is correct in this, then you may just need a new belt installed.

Regardless of which, you can use the JD Parts Catalog to find parts and diagrams of your machine. Once you type in your model # in the top left of the screen, looks like yours is Item 2056, go to Alphabetical then T, you'll see your transmission breakdown, not sure which one it is, but anyway, this is a good resource to keep bookmarked for help with your JD's :fing32:.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
I'm not going to go through the 100's of reasons a gear drive can slip, but on your 170 it should be 1 of 2 things, either the shift keys (part 19) OR the input shaft and associated gear (part 5 and 9A) This is VERY common and it is possible that the upper case itself is worn out as well.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure it is just the keys because everthing else is pretty tight. Did just discover there is a tooth broken on the main gear on the differential though. What a bummer this could get pricey unless I find a cheap used one.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
I have a good set of used shift keys and a spare trans for PARTS, if you want to work something out for the gear and shift keys. The keys were replaced for PM during a grease change in the transmission.
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts