My Tractor Forum banner

JD 165 snowblower help

14K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  ldietz 
#1 ·
Hey guys i bought a JD 165 with the deck, snowblower, and blade this summer. Now the snowblower fitts on the the front perfectly but i cant figure out how the belts fit on. ill have pictures to follow but if anyone has a 165 with a snowbower set up can you take pictures of your belt setup?

much appreciated
:thanku:

#2 ·
#5 ·
You could say it's a "belt" with a twist"

#6 ·
If you run into any snags with getting her to go, Scotty, just let Herd_of_Deeres and I know, we got a whole SCHWACK of pictures up for how that blower goes on.... Good thing, too, 'cause I'll have to review it again before our first big storm...

#7 ·
#8 ·
As you'll read in some of the other posts it IS possible to route the belt so the auger runs backward as both LTG and I discovered :duh: so check it when you're done. There are few worse feelings than sticking the auger into freshly fallen snow and watching it shoot out the sides of the auger case and not the chute :duh: :banghead3
Before each use spray the auger and chute down with Pam cooking spray or something similar; it reduces chute clogging and snow buildup.

#10 ·
Hi ldietz,
Take a peek at the thread KATT linked to in the second post in this thread... Theres some good pix of the blower mounted there... Beyond that, what pix are you looking for? Belt routing, or the mount, or how the tensioner spring and hook goes on, or how the braces hook up?

#12 ·
Hi ldietz,
Take a peek at the thread KATT linked to in the second post in this thread... Theres some good pix of the blower mounted there... Beyond that, what pix are you looking for? Belt routing, or the mount, or how the tensioner spring and hook goes on, or how the braces hook up?

Hi Littletractorguy,

I basically need all of the above (the mount, how the tensioner spring and hook goes on, how the braces hook up?) Due to file size I'll send you my email address ldkd1974@gmail.com. I have some pics that I can send once you reply to my email.

thanks,

Larry

#11 ·
:howdy: Just so we have it somewhere.....
The belt.....starting at the big pulley, put the "V" side in the groove. Now like horse reigns, hold in your right hand the "FLAT" side and go under the idler pulley.
In your left hand hold the "V" side up. ( now this is where a helper comes in if you have one) but holding the belt as told, go back to the mule drive. ( we are ***-u-me-ing it is install correctly) the right side of the belt ( flat) will go up the right idler from the bottom, while the left side ( V up) will go on the left pulley from the bottom.
Now if it has been on before, it should just fold and lasso the engine drive pulley ( V side in the groove). If not you have to twist it and the belt is on :praying: then just adjust the tensioner. ***-u-me-ing the spring is already on ( which I do last ).
Sound easy doesn't it ?? :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

#13 ·
ALL DONE

Spring on Hydro 165 175

#14 ·
Home made suitcase bracket. Hard to find the factory weights.
Sorry about the dark pics

#16 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the pic Larry can't load.
No way this is a 100 series #38 blower mount !! Maybe a 200 series? or LX1XX series ??

#17 ·
Whoa! Ya, that is nothing like what's on LittleTractor... That looks more like the frame, support, braces and idler for 10 - STX, LX, GT AND 100 SERIES LAWN TRACTORS (according to JD Parts).... Check it out, here's the parts diagrams for it... First the frame and tractor brace:

and then the support and idler (aka the mule drive)

So, um, did this come WITH your 165, or did you buy it separately because someone advertised it as fitting "100 series" tractors? I can't really picture how it would fit on a 165, unless that back piece (the support and idler) will hook over the rear pins on the 165.... What does the FRONT of this puppy look like? I could possibly see the pins on #26 on the first diagram hooking into the mounting slots on the front of the 165... This is all guesswork on my part, because I've never actually seen a mount like this in person...

Let me see if I can do some cross referencing to see if this blower mount is listed in JD's attachments docs...

#18 ·
Larry, I have some bad news for you, I'm afraid....

The blower that you have there is not the one for the 130-185 series... Its for the LT1xx series... You mentioned the M02462 code in your first post, I just went back and looked at the JD attachment crossreference doc... I've attached a PDF of the relevant page for you to take a look at...

My apologies... PERHAPS it could be modded to fit, but I believe another member here (ericstromberg) may have already tried that, with not very good results.

Attachments

#19 ·
Hi Littletractorguy,

I bought the blower from a jd gargen tractor salesman. He wasn't sure what it came off of. I can tell him that the forum has confirmed that this snow blower will not fit on a JD 165 and no one on the forum has had any success trying to modify one like this one to get it to fit a 165. He and the local JD dealer assumed that series 100 tractors included 165's. Evidently this is a huge mistake. The person that I bought this from is a pretty reputable person and will either give me a refund or another snow blower that will fit.

To KATT, Littletractorguy and anyone else on the forum that has helped in this endeavor, you have my sincere thanks for all the time and effort that you've put into helping me with this.

Thanks again,

Larry Dietz

#20 ·
Hey Larry,

Glad we could be of some assistance, I hope returning it works out for you, and that you're able to find the right one at some point! That cross reference sheet should help out significantly, I'd say...

#21 ·
Here are some more parts he couldn't post. :thSick:

#22 ·
Hi Littletractorguy,

I trust all of the information that the forum has supplied and appreciate all of your help. However, after looking at the pdf page that you posted, I can't find one thing about snow blowers on that particular page. Is it possible that you've posted the wrong page by mistake?

thanks again

Larry

#25 ·
Good afternoon,

I trust that you all had a Merry Christmas. I was looking at a thread on weight boxes and was finally able to down size some pics to post. Each brick weighs a bit more than 8#'s 4 bricks = 35 lbs. I had originally thought that 12 would be enough, but later stood up the last 4 to able to add 4 extra (approx 140# total). Being old and not as strong as I once was, gave me the idea for the bricks. It may take a little longer to load, but it's light work.

Also I finally found a 38" thrower for my 165 and went to look at it. No mule drive, so the guy knocked off $50 bucks and threw in a set of chains. To my dismay, I then found out that mule drives are scarce and worth a king's ransom. Liking to tinker, I went to a scrap yard and parted with $5 for some channel, angle iron and flat iron. I have a wire feed welder, drill press, chop saw, and torch to help in the design work. From the earlier snow blower in my garage yet( the one for a 200 series tractor. The guy paid me and picked it up a few days later) I got some ideas for developing my own mule drive. also, I had some pics from the forum. I robbed two wheels off an old lawn mover and cut the rubber off of them for my mule drive pullies. The next two days were a bit intense as I needed to develop a way to hang and add tension to the mule drive. I finally connected two 18# springs in parallel to get enough tension to keep the belt on.

Attachments

#26 ·
Seasons Greetings, Larry!

Interesting looking pix of the weight box AND the setup you're working on for the mule drive! I dunno if you found THIS thread:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=215463&page=5

Where Kylmakalle from Finland and I did a schwack of measurements of my mule drive so he could fab one up there in Finland... Maybe some of the pix and measurements will be helpful references for ya...

Keep us posted! Hope it works out for you!

#27 ·
I already have it (my rig) working. However I did receive, with the snow thrower, the side bars that attach the mule drive to the front of the tractor. Some time in the future, I'll probably modify my setup to incorporated them instead of the 45 degrees side rods in the picture. If I remove the rods, the mule drive will be completely transferable to any tractor w/out any welding. In my cobbling/designing, I welded a washer (it's visible in the picture) to a flat strap that happened to be identical on both sides of the tractor. By the way, does anyone know the precise tension that an originial JD tension spring would supply to the mule drive? So far 36#'s seens to be about right. I was able to move about 6" of slush without the belt coming off.

Also, I too concur with the advise about jacking up the wheel to install the chains. I eventually did this and it made the job much easier.

thanks,

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.