My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 165 Hydro. I have had it for several years. In the past I have always been able to resolve my problems through the "by guess and by golly" method. This problem has me stumped. The Product Identification Number is ....M001165X431760. In the next pic id he drain plug I took out to drain the fluid. .

In this pic is where I took out the breather plug, and refilled with John Deere Hy Guard Low Viscosity oil, while rotating the wheels.

This is the plug I took out to drain what I believe was 80/90 gear oil. The trouble is, I don't know where to put it back in! Any help? Thanks Greg

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Super up close pictures are great, but rarely offer enough context to provide much help.

The operator's manual would have information you need. The newer ones are free online from JD. I did not see one for yours. But, jd parts has diagrams of all the parts, which should help you figure out where to add the oil, what type it is, and how much you need. It would probably be a good idea to invest the $20 or so the manual will cost you to get the correct information.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Those transmissions have separate fluids for the hydro and differential. Old threads.
See post #32-#36. Deere 111H and 165 use the same trans. Hydro fluid is added through the top tube and differential oil is added through the pipe plug on the front of the trans near the freewheel button.

Cannon

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You Cannon. I did eventually find a video showing where the fill plug was. Mine was so caked with dirt and grease, it was barely visible. I have downloaded the service manual for the 175. As far as the transmission is concerned, the 2 tractors should be the same. They instruct you to remove the fill plug and refill with the proper lubricant. They don't tell you where that plug is. At least I never found it. Thanks Again Greg

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super up close pictures are great, but rarely offer enough context to provide much help.

The operator's manual would have information you need. The newer ones are free online from JD. I did not see one for yours. But, jd parts has diagrams of all the parts, which should help you figure out where to add the oil, what type it is, and how much you need. It would probably be a good idea to invest the $20 or so the manual will cost you to get the correct information.
I guess I am an idiot. I thought these kind of questions is what forums were for. I would guess 90% of ALL tractor questions could be answered if everyone would simply search the net for manuals, pay for them (when necessary) and hope the manual gives complete instructions. Then we could do away with forums altogether. What a great idea!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
guess I am an idiot. I thought these kind of questions is what forums were for.
Hardly, not what I said, and not my intention.

The purpose of these forums is to be a long store of very valuable information. This is where search becomes very helpful. I always use it first, since it usually saves time. Service manuals in particular are typically fairly poor in providing sufficient details to do the job, unless you already know how to do it. Operator manuals are usually better, and the new ones typically provide all the details about the recommended fluids and typically provide sufficient details to let an untrained person do the job.

I don't have any more than 20 year old machines, so no experience with something as old as yours. Since no one else had responded, I provided as much information as I had. Sorry it wasn't what you wanted and that you took it the way you appear to have. Of course, that is the thing about forums and people, you never know what you are going to get.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hardly, not what I said, and not my intention.
I was reading through some old threads and ran across this one.
I believe I owe you an apology. I am not usually an A hole, but apparently this was not one of my finer days. I guess I was just frutrated by the facy that not one John Deere 100 series owner, would help with this problem. I would be willing to bet there are 100's on here. They all must have been busy I guess. Again, I apologize for the way I spoke and acted. It's not my norm. Greg

·
Registered
570 Posts
I guess I am an idiot. I thought these kind of questions is what forums were for. I would guess 90% of ALL tractor questions could be answered if everyone would simply search the net for manuals, pay for them (when necessary) and hope the manual gives complete instructions. Then we could do away with forums altogether. What a great idea!
I guess you should have found a manual becuase Hy Guard Low Viscosity is not the right oil for that transmission.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Again, I apologize for the way I spoke and acted. It's not my norm.
No problem, everybody has a bad day sometimes. I can certainly understand frustration and how it can lead to saying things one doesn't really mean (at least to say out loud 😉).

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess you should have found a manual becuase Hy Guard Low Viscosity is not the right oil for that transmission.
Could you tell me what is the correct oil?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This is from my 111H manual. They may have changed the spec in the 165.

Sorry, thats not big enough to read. there's a larger image in the first thread I linked earlier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts