My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 422 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was given to me, basically to keep from going to the recyclers. I excepted it because 1. It looked like a good candidate for my Grand Son to use (Hydro). And 2. I haven't had a John Dear yet. So I present..... Little John. I think my Grandson will like it, he even offered to tow it to the shed where I have it stored till I finish the BOH project. Wiring is ka-put. Engine spins, and has oil, but the reservoir under the seat is dry.

Haven't had a chance to go over the Op manual yet, been busy. I don't have room to work on both, but that doesn't prevent me from getting parts for it now. Obviously a wire harness is needed.

Attachments

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
This was given to me, basically to keep from going to the recyclers. I excepted it because 1. It looked like a good candidate for my Grand Son to use (Hydro). And 2. I haven't had a John Dear yet. So I present..... Little John. I think my Grandson will like it, he even offered to tow it to the shed where I have it stored till I finish the BOH project. Wiring is ka-put. Engine spins, and has oil, but the reservoir under the seat is dry.

Haven't had a chance to go over the Op manual yet, been busy. I don't have room to work on both, but that doesn't prevent me from getting parts for it now. Obviously a wire harness is needed.
Mark the date of May 3, 2016.................who had this date in the pool that Larry would be out of space in the Man Cave Garage? :sidelaugh

Just the law of physics.............any empty garage space always sucks in tractors.

Look forward to this rebuild as well. :fing32:

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
That's a good restoration canadate here's a pic of my 165 that I restore with my grandad we got it at a local scrap yard it was junk when we got it

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Message from the person that gave it to me.

My pleasure, I am glad it went to someone who will work on it and give it new life instead of it just being turned to scrap.

Commander Melvin Roseborough
Waco Police Department DEU

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
Message from the person that gave it to me.

My pleasure, I am glad it went to someone who will work on it and give it new life instead of it just being turned to scrap.

Commander Melvin Roseborough
Waco Police Department DEU
:fing32: so your tractor restoration reputation is not just on MTF. Well deserved.

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:fing32: so your tractor restoration reputation is not just on MTF. Well deserved.
Yea, since the City did that video on me I have received ...umm a couple good comments. It seems the Commander didn't see the video (I asked) but was told about me from someone else. Hay, it works for me. All he wants is a picture when I'm done.
BOH is still coming along.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Nice they wanted you to save it!

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't this hobby great! I realized I would never make a profit from restoring but Get a lot of satisfaction from this. I can now do a basic cost comparison of a cost comparison between Sears / Roper / Craftsman / Ford / and now JD.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Totally agree Larry! We don't make much when we do sell. Mostly goes into next one!

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little John has been moved into position. BOH is almost finished and helped with the move.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,158 Posts
Congratulations on your new 165! It was nice of them to think of you, and want to see it restored rather than scrapped. It will be a nice project for you, and your grandson. Looking forward to seeing updates.:fing32:

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Awaiting this one! My 180 could use a refresh!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I see you figured out how to hold that freewheel lever over. Trying to push, steer and hold that lever is a pain. Actually your lucky it is working, most of the time there stuck.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see you figured out how to hold that freewheel lever over. Trying to push, steer and hold that lever is a pain. Actually your lucky it is working, most of the time there stuck.
Cannon
The PO did that, it did help.

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Started on "Little John" disassembly. First thing I noticed is the bolts are metric. So to me this may mean not made in the USA. I had to re-think the bolt storage, and dig out the metric tools. These are rarely used as all the other machine are SAE. And all my nut & bolt spares are SAE, so I'll need a Metric bolt box. At least I got started on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who would connect a Ground cable to the starter bendix? This machine has two black cables for the battery connection which tells me the battery may have been hooked up backwards at some time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Love wiring foolishness! :(
Just had my 180 out to mow and replaced the fuel line I left not knowing any better first time! See they installed the relay kit at least, wires look poorly routed as well!

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh there are more wiring issues that I'll post. Still in the tear down process and taking detailed pictures. I can fix the wires, the electronics may be another issue.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 422 Posts