My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum!

My name is Lee, im an auto mechanic ( usually dealing with brakes and suspension, alignments, etc) and i signed up for this forum because i wanted to restore my JD 110. But thats a different day's story.

I traded some things for a JD 165 hydro a month or so ago, the guy wanted to unload it becuase it had a really broken hood. like 3 pieces broken. i took it home, changed oil, plug, filter, sharpened blades, and mowed with it for a month, it worked great. All 4 tires were shot.

So on sunday, i drove it into the garage, jacked up all 4 corners, and pulled off all 4 wheels. i took them to work on Monday, put on 4 new tires, and filled all 4 tires with fluid (for traction, my yard is a side hill). I put the tires back on last night, set it on the ground... now they hydro stat doesnt work. the mower wont stay put, it free wheels like the hydro stat is unlocked, yet i checked the switch. I'm not overly familiar with hydro stat setups, can someone help?? did i do something wrong?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I agree with Harry and that is BOTH wheels.
If you jack the rear end off the ground the wheels should turn in opposite directions BUT Isn't anyone even more amazed he could get the rear wheels off ( especially the RR ) :swow: in the first place :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
The key is crescent or 1/2 moon shaped. if memory serves :dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys, a few things....

First off, the wheels came right off. i guess thats what you get for working on cars all the time, and just being awesome.

I did pull off one of the wheels, to make sure i had the key in there. i suppose i should pull the other, just to be sure.

The issue is this: you move the shifter forward or reverse, nothing happens. you jack the rear end of the tractor up, and both wheels spin, the same direction, but the smallest amount of resistance will stop them. on the ground, nothing at all.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Like the others said, you lost the woodruff key. Check the other side and I bet you'll see it's missing.

As for the comment about removing the wheel, john deere didn't grease the axle shafts and many (most) are rusted solid to the wheel and difficult (impossble) to remove. Take a moment and slather on some grease or antiseize in the unlikely event you have to remove the wheels again.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like the others said, you lost the woodruff key. Check the other side and I bet you'll see it's missing.

As for the comment about removing the wheel, john deere didn't grease the axle shafts and many (most) are rusted solid to the wheel and difficult (impossble) to remove. Take a moment and slather on some grease or antiseize in the unlikely event you have to remove the wheels again.

Sent from the MTF Free App
im going to check tomorrow... now i kinda want to go check right now, but its after 11 pm, lol.

yeah, when i pulled the wheels, one shaft was greased, the other one was dry, but surprisingly came off. they both got greased up before i put the wheels on.

If i did loose the woodruff key, any farm/fleet store would have them, right??

Thanks agian guys, for all your help and comments.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Same direction .....not good !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts