My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my father-in-law has an older 160 that has progressively gotten harder to start. He cranks and cranks and as he does so, it will fire, but not take off. After cranking for a bit (20 seconds or so), it will finally fire enough to take off. A couple of weekends ago, I decided I would take a look. It has spark and seems to be getting fuel to the carb. I cranked on it for 10 to 20 seconds and checked the plug to see if it was wet. The plug was as drain as a bone. I pulled the carb off and began tearing it down. Didn't notice any major debris. The needle valve has that rubber sealing conical surface. It has a little groove around the diameter of it. I pulled every little part off it I could find. The bowl seems to be full so, I think the fuel pump is working and it is getting gas. My question is maybe to much gas. Is that a potential? If getting to much gas, wouldn't the plug be wet? Like I said, there was no sign of any fuel on the spark plug. I filled the spark plug with gas and stuffed it into the hole. It cranked a little and tried to start. One more thing to add, when it finally decides to run, it runs really rough and has a bit of a miss. Also, he says it burns no oil and seems like it has good compression. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,934 Posts
When I bought my 160 last fall it ran okay, but got progressively worse.... not QUITE the same symptoms as your dad's, it WOULD start and run, but it took a fair bit of cranking (esp. in the cold) and full choke.... Then it would run rough and pop and cough.... Here's what I did....

1. Replaced fuel filter (replacement was one of those clear ones, soon as I fired up the tractor, the filter filled with black grunge)
2. Replaced all the fuel lines right to the pump.
3. Replaced air filter.
4. Mixed some seafoam into the gas
5. Put seafoam into the carb with the engine running (as per instructions on the can) to clean out the carb.
6. Adjusted the idles speed to 1350 rpm using the idle speed screw on the carb
7. Adjusted the idle speed mixture as per the procedure listed in the tech manual for the Kawasaki FB460v.

Adjusting the idle speed mixture was the one that REALLY helped my little tractor.... I had to do it again just tonight, so it seems to drop out of spec fairly regularly... once again my little tractor is running like a top!

Just my experiences, in case any of it helps you out!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great link...thanks a ton. I still think there is something going on in the carb. I think I need to pull it apart again and let it soak in carb cleaner.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check that the head bolts are tight - I had a Tecumseh years back that you'd pull on forever, once I found those un-torqued headbolts, it became a 2 pull starter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some updates...pulled the carb two weeks ago and let it soak for 3 hrs in carb cleaner. No difference. Carb is spotless. I also checked the compression and it is at about 35 psi. Minimum spec is 45 according to the repair manual in the link posted above. Guess I need to see if the head bolts are loose.

·
Too young to act this old
1,034 Posts
Some updates...pulled the carb two weeks ago and let it soak for 3 hrs in carb cleaner. No difference. Carb is spotless. I also checked the compression and it is at about 35 psi. Minimum spec is 45 according to the repair manual in the link posted above. Guess I need to see if the head bolts are loose.
I would like to say that your head is tight enough, but it is worth checking. I would say that the vallve lash is out of adjustment. Or something with the vavles. You are not getting enough compression or a wet plug. It is possible it is the rings/ piston. But, you would still get a wet plug. I printed the manual off for my 165. It saves plenty of time instead of the back and forth in the house. That was just rambling. There is a trouble shooting section in the manual. hard to start> spark produced yes> is compression sufficient no> worn piston/rings, stuck rings, worn cylinder bore, head is loose, faulty contact of valve seat, plunge up by valve, warped head, broken valve spring, stuck valve, or a burned head gasket.

Either way I think it is a valve issue. That is my 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts