My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, very new to JD and MTF... very fun stuff! I just picked-up a used 160 this week and have begun to go through it.

My question: I'm replacing all the bearings on my mower deck and last night when I took the spindles apart, I found what appears to be some sort of seal between the lower bearing and the part of the spindle that the blades mount to. It is torn-up pretty badly, but I can't find anything in the exploded parts diagram. I was thinking of making one from a piece of leather or rope... anyone heard of this or do you think it's a part that my JD dealer will know of and have?

Oh yeah, one of the spindle sheaves sent me to the ER @ 11:30 pm last night for 4 stitches in my upper lip. It was being really stubborn, so I put it in the vice and was lifting up and rocking it with my hands when it unexpectly came off (really fast) and whacked me in the face! Oh well, I guess I still like my 160....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wlecome to MTF,I think this post belongs in "Look what I broke today " I'm not sure about the part in question,but generally there is something there to protect the bearing from debris....hang tight someone will come along shortly with a correct answer for you ....for the time being you should shop for a Goalie Mask for future reapirs on your JD :eek:) ,Good Luck,Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not seeing anything in my exploded views either, must be something the previous owner install as these should have been single side shielded bearings I would think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kind of what I was thinking... they are sealed bearings. However, the spindle assemblies have grease zircs so they can be greased and a seal of some sort may help keep any grease that migrates down that way from making too much of a mess.

I can't tell if they were made of rubber or a fiber-type material. Kind of reminds me of the packing that goes in some faucets as a seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts