My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i saw a post that someone put wider wheels from a jd 400 on a 140 and put bearings on the spindles to make steering easier.Anyone do this or was it all a dream? :thanku:
Scott

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Another option is brass/bronze thrust washers with implanted graphite plugs, Eliminates the possibility of the rolling element breaking ( there are none) and they are are self lubricating. Available from McMaster-Carr Type in "thrust washer" Worked well on my Ingersoll.

just a thought.

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
Motopsycho,

Yes I have done both to my 140. As you can see in the pic. I have used the 400 front wheels with 18-8.50-8 V61 front tires.

At this time I do not have the part numbers I used for the spindle bearings and shims. I did buy these from McMaster-Carr and I will try to dig up the part numbers. The installation of the spindle bearing does make quite a difference, but still no where near power steering !!!

Attachments

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
Here are the part numbers that I used from McMaster-Carr.

Prices are from 1/29/09, probably gone up since !!!

4 each 5909K49 .032" Thick Washer for 1" Shaft Diameter Steel Thrust Needle-Roller Bearing @ 1.00 each ( I only used 2 of the washers ).

2 each 5909K36 Cage Assembly for 1" Shaft Diameter, 1-9/16" OD Steel Thrust Needle-Roller Bearing @ $2.73 each

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Very nice Job.. But how in the heck do you steer it ?? With no Power steering; The sectors do not like all that weight/added preasure on it;

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems as though i have 3/4 dia. spindles on my 140.I thought they were all the same.Mines a 68

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
Is there a replacement thrust washer that will work? I just tried ordering M45111 which is the deere part number for the thrust washers and they emailed me saying that they're NLA. Any one have any alternatives

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
Nick,

I posted in the other thread that you posted in but, if you have 3/4" spindles then part # M41361 which is 1/32" thick, is still available from Mother Deere.

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
Mine is a 1973. My parts manual shows M45111 which is NLA, however my 300 has a different part number for its washers but show them available. Wonder what the difference is?

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
Not sure what part mnumber you are looking at but, the washer I see listed for the 300 is part # M48359 which I show as NLA

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
Ok, maybe I'm missing where it would say NLA? Is this Jd parts? If so where do you look to see if It's available. If that is the case, anyone know how thick they should be so I can try mcmaster?

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
And why would they discontinue them anyway??

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
Nick,

You have to register and get an account on JDParts. When you find the part you are looking for, Check the box next to that part number and click on " add to cart " .

After that, click on " go to cart " and if the part is NLA you will get this message "
The part M48359 is no longer available. Contact your local John Deere dealer for other options.
If the part is available it will take you right to the cart and show the price.

These parts are most likely not used on current machines and there for NLA after the stock was sold.

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
Ok I see. I have an account, just never played with it enough. Man, I wonder how much more stuff is NLA that I thought I could easily get. Any idea how thick those washers were, or how thick will still fit?

·
Green Team !!!
468 Posts
There are many parts that are NLA for these vintage tractors.

One thing you could do, is give the part number(s) to your local dealer and have them do a national dealer stock check. The JDParts site only shows JD stock but dealers many still have stock that we can not see.

Also, if you look above at my post #5, you will see the washer part number I used from MCMaster Carr. You could order 4-6 of these and you should be good.

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
Ok thank you, what kinds of things are NLA? I know that the 15 series sundstrand pump motors are still in production so that good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts