My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first time asking a question on the forum so hopefully it works. I was in between mowers and a friend offered me an old John Deere that had been sitting for 5-7 years. It turned out to be a 116. Kind of rough but I did some basic work on it and got it running. On the first test drive I noticed the steering seemed hard but didn’t think too much about it. About the time I noticed a lot of play in the front end the axle all but came off. I’m not sure on the terminology of the parts but what I would call the main bolt has major wear and the two anchors(I think ) are also worn. It looks like a 3/4” rod that is threaded on both ends with a smooth shaft in the middle that possibly slides through the axle and is welded on one side. Wondering if I should try for a replacement bolt or if a 3/4” hardened all thread would work. I see the anchors are available and I think they are a standard thread. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you probably already found this:
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/69930/referrer/navigation/pgId/261160

The whole axle is still available, but quite expensive at $670 or so.

The smooth shaft would likely be for the bushing to allow the axle to move easily. A bolt would work, but probably score the bushing, so probably not the best idea.
[/QUOTE
Thanks for responding. Good point on the threads tearing up the bushing. I’m assuming just the bolt would be hard to find. Maybe I can use a bolt with a long enough shoulder to cut the head off and thread that part of it. If I’m understanding it right the threaded connection between the bolt and the anchors on each end keep the axle from rocking forward or backwards while still allowing the axle to pivot on uneven terrain?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yes, the two ends keep it from moving forwards/backwards. The axle allows the front wheels to be on uneven ground.

This thread looks interesting for discussion on metal selection for an axle.

I think the loads are not high and I am not convinced heat treatment (which makes metal more brittle) is a good thing for this application.

If you have the ability to thread 3/4", you could probably just use mild steel rod. It would be easier to thread than the harder varieties. I am guessing it would last long enough.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Looking at the pictures more, it looks like it will be quite a project to remove and replace the pivot rod. It is not clear exactly how this pivot point works. I was expecting a bushing, but it doesn't look like there is one. If looks like maybe the threads are the bushings, which seems like a bad design.

Do you have pictures of the frame parts?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The threads are the bushings in this design. As each side goes up and down, the axle rotates within the thread of both of the anchors. Those anchors are bolted to the frame. Interesting design, but it seems to work for the most part. I've had several 116's apart, and haven't seen the level of wear in the OP's pictures. Usually the anchor is the sacrificial piece.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
That is an interesting design, to say the least. That means all thread probably would work, assuming it is the same thread pitch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m thinking I need to get new anchors and figure out for sure what size and thread they are. After that I could either see about removing and replacing the bolt with all thread or a modified bolt. I could also replace just the threaded/bad sections by cutting them off and welding new ends on. I have a better pic of the frame but it’s not loading. The side with the anchor still attached is the backside. It’s in pretty bad shape too. Thanks again for replying to both of you. I should have joined this forum a long time ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m thinking I need to get new anchors and figure out for sure what size and thread they are. After that I could either see about removing and replacing the bolt with all thread or a modified bolt. I could also replace just the threaded/bad sections by cutting them off and welding new ends on. I have a better pic of the frame but it’s not loading. The side with the anchor still attached is the backside. It’s in pretty bad shape too. Thanks again for replying to both of you. I should have joined this forum a long time ago.
Dang, didn’t realize those anchors are $27 apiece

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I had trouble with that axle on my 111H. IIRC that design was carried through the later 160-185 tractors. I would spend some time running part numbers and see if you can replace the axle with one from a later tractor. I have a few of those screw on flanges saved but nothing is going to work on those axle threads. The 160-185 tractors are dirt cheap around here. Where you at?
Cannon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m in south central Iowa. I haven’t seen much for parts but I could be that I not looking in the rights places. I did find a set of used anchors so I got them ordered. I’m wanting to cut off the bad sections and replace with good by welding on new ends once I know for sure what size and thread they used to be. Hoping this will work as long as I get good welds and the pieces on straight. What do you think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts