My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1974 JD 110 cuts out randomly. There is no signs of when it will do it just Bang! Bang! and it dies. You can remove the load, try adjust choke or throttle but nothing happens. Once the engine comes to a complete stop it starts back up normally. It seems to be happening more often. Temperature dose not seem to effect it. I'm stumped on what it could be, any ideas?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't understand the circumstances. You say "bang bang and it dies". Like a backfire?

You say you try to remove the load, adjust choke, throttle, etc and nothing happens.

So, does it die suddenly or just lose power until it dies?

·
Registered
733 Posts
One thing that comes to mind is a sticking exhaust valve...have you checked the valve clearances?

Could have a coil going bad. Definitely check all your wiring but if the wiring checks out, the coil when hot could be breaking down.

One other possibility is that it's loosing fuel, not likely but if you have an old fuel filter, or one that's a membrane style as opposed to a pleated filter, could be restricting flow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I'm still fighting this problem and its getting worse. To the point I can't cut grass with it. I have tried everything I can think of and haven't got anywhere.

Symptoms
  1. Its full throttle load based
  2. The hotter the day the sooner it will happen
  3. Once the engine comes to a stop it will restart instantly

Things I have tried
  1. Cleaned carburetor
  2. reset valve lash
  3. Replaced points and timed it
  4. replaced condenser
  5. Tried another known good coil
  6. puled engine shrouds to check for clogged fins
  7. Ran a new ground
  8. redid wire to coil as well as test ran it straight from the battery
  9. Cleaned tank and filter
  10. replaced fuel line
  11. replaced fuel pump

I'm at the point that I think its running the float bowl dry. I thought it could be vapor lock but it restarts no problem. Other then this problem the k241 runs better then most I have. It runs very smooth. The plug is a dry chocolate brown so i'm not lean or rich. And for the most part I don't work it hard enough for this to be a problem but I would like to mow with it again. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts