My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Well for now my 1025R is basically a mower, but it is the first step in acquiring the things we will need for our retirement farm. I'm hoping that by this fall I'll be able to get a tiller for it, so I can put in a bigger garden next year. Anyway, overall I'm very happy with the tractor, it's quite nimble, being able to mow around my biggest trees in a single circle...the 7" turning diameter helps a lot. Smaller trees require a three or four point turn to mow right up beside them. Bypassing the RIO feature helps a ton! I've never had a tractor with power steering before, but to me it's now an invaluable option...especially with 14 smaller trees to mow around. I never bottomed the suspension springs on the seat out, which is nice considering I'm not exactly small and our yard is kind of rough in spots. The quick attach mower deck is a breeze to install or remove and the push blade isn't far behind. I've never had a hydraulically controlled push blade before and I can see that blade getting a lot of use in the future. My remaining 3 point attachments fit well, although some adjustment of the bars was necessary and will be getting more use now. Also after mowing once with the stock R4 tires on the loaner that the dealer let me use to mow with, I'm really glad I exchanged them for turf tires. My yard is thanking me.

OK, now the bad. Under certain conditions, I can feel the hot air from the engine and radiator blowing back across my calves, but overall it's not too bad. Secondly, that **** RIO is a major pain in the rump! EDIT: No description of bypassing a safety device is allowed. Next, the tail and turn signal lights are on the outside of the ROPS just waiting to get knocked off. I know JD makes a guard for them, but I just can't see paying $150 for what amounts to two 1/16" thick pieces of flat stock bent in a big rectangle to fit around the lights. So I found a simple solution, I simply took them off and moved them to the inside of the ROPS, which requires swapping sides so they remain aligned with the ROPES for appearances.The hardest part was snipping the wires on a brand new tractor and then soldering them back together on the other side. From what I've heard, there used to be a connector that made this an easy project, but not on the 2020s.

Now the ugly. I'm pretty sure that the mowing deck needs a few more small adjustment since it left very small ridges in what looks to be the small area between the blades. This could also be the result of the mulching kit and/or a combination of that and travel speed.

Overall. I'm lovin' my new JD SCUT!

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Well for now my 1025R is basically a mower, but it is the first step in acquiring the things we will need for our retirement farm. I'm hoping that by this fall I'll be able to get a tiller for it, so I can put in a bigger garden next year. Anyway, overall I'm very happy with the tractor, it's quite nimble, being able to mow around my biggest trees in a single circle...the 7" turning diameter helps a lot. Smaller trees require a three or four point turn to mow right up beside them. Bypassing the RIO feature helps a ton! I've never had a tractor with power steering before, but to me it's now an invaluable option...especially with 14 smaller trees to mow around. I never bottomed the suspension springs on the seat out, which is nice considering I'm not exactly small and our yard is kind of rough in spots. The quick attach mower deck is a breeze to install or remove and the push blade isn't far behind. I've never had a hydraulically controlled push blade before and I can see that blade getting a lot of use in the future. My remaining 3 point attachments fit well, although some adjustment of the bars was necessary and will be getting more use now. Also after mowing once with the stock R4 tires on the loaner that the dealer let me use to mow with, I'm really glad I exchanged them for turf tires. My yard is thanking me.

OK, now the bad. Under certain conditions, I can feel the hot air from the engine and radiator blowing back across my calves, but overall it's not too bad. Secondly, that **** RIO is a major pain in the rump! EDIT: No description of bypassing a safety device is allowed. Next, the tail and turn signal lights are on the outside of the ROPS just waiting to get knocked off. I know JD makes a guard for them, but I just can't see paying $150 for what amounts to two 1/16" thick pieces of flat stock bent in a big rectangle to fit around the lights. So I found a simple solution, I simply took them off and moved them to the inside of the ROPS, which requires swapping sides so they remain aligned with the ROPES for appearances.The hardest part was snipping the wires on a brand new tractor and then soldering them back together on the other side. From what I've heard, there used to be a connector that made this an easy project, but not on the 2020s.

Now the ugly. I'm pretty sure that the mowing deck needs a few more small adjustment since it left very small ridges in what looks to be the small area between the blades. This could also be the result of the mulching kit and/or a combination of that and travel speed.

Overall. I'm lovin' my new JD SCUT!
Once you have power steering you realize that you've been working way too hard in the past on the tractor. One of the best things is that with a snowblower out front you can still steer in deep snow!!!

Shouldn't be any ridges between the blades. I hate to say this but make sure they have them all turned the right way, wouldn't be the first time we've seen one with a blade upside down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts