My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I brought this nice little mower home today....When I looked it over I thought the engine was locked up. But then at the same time I thought maybe that since I could move the flywheel a little and I heard the belts underneath, making noise. Got me to wondering if a spindle had locked up and that was the reason the engine stopped running as the PO indicated.

The engine is not locked up and I surmised the situation with the spindle correctly. The engine does have a severely blown head gasket, and the cylinder bore is smooth and clean. There isn't any ridge in the cylinder either. I'm gong to slap another head gasket on it and try to get it started. If it is smoking badly, I'll ring it. But either way I have a line on another 8 hp if I need to just replace it.

Here is my first post about it and where I was guessing about the "locked up" engine. I was mostly just wishing that the engine was being stopped by the belts. How prophetic.......or just a lucky guess.......yea, just a lucky guess, LOL!

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=140684

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Notice two things that were apparent. The oil/dust build-up on the carb makes me wonder if there wasn't a fair amount of blowby and I'm looking at rings or if the head gasket had been leaking for awhile and that was causing the oil buildup on the carb.

The other is the mouse nest. I got all that mess cleaned up from the fins.

Anybody care to give me a heads up about how to get at the vari-pulley to give it some checking out and lubing? I think I'll have to hoist it up and do it from underneath. Its not like the later "Shift on the go" systems of later years that MTD did with access from the top.

·
Banned
2 Posts
yes that is true about the head gasket but the vent for the crank case is right there also ..As for the mouse nest i have had them lock a motor solid not nice when it catches on fire ether ,,,The VSP on that model can be accessed from the bottom only ...Its the same as my turf track mower ...Mine dose not have an access cover ether i was not happy when i had to change belt lol

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I think if I keep it for a restore, it'll just need to be repainted. If I sell it, for the age, I would just polish out out the faded crud on the paint and let the small amount of rust remain as war marks of its life. It all depends on the engine and what all I do with it. If all I have to do is put a new head gasket on it, and it runs good, with no smoke, I may just do a quick profit sale on it. One that old would sell for about $250 easily if it looks good. So far I have only the $50 purchase price in it. With a small amount of repair parts I'd make a tidy profit. I have had it where people do want a small width rider in order to get to a back yard through a gate.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the replacement head gasket put in it today, and got it fired up. Dosed the carb with 5x the normal dose of Stabil in a Qt of gas in the tank. I had to keep it choked at first for a few minutes, then it let me open it to full open, no choke. Adjusted the idle/air mix and adjusted the idle speed, and other than smoke it runs strong. It looks like I'm going to be putting a new set of chrome rings in it. I thought I saw a little bit too much oil in the cylinder when I was looking it over with the head off. The cyl bore is absolutely smooth as new. No scoring at all. Think I can get by without lapping the valves? Probably better do them, it is SOP in a re ring job.

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I got the chrome rings ordered today from Ebay for $16 including shipping....I think that was about half price......So I'll try to get started on the ring job soon after.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the chrome rings in the mail today, and it has the original price for these. Wow, they were expensive. And I only paid $16 for them including shipping.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts