My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are trying to come up with some ideas to spruce up the cabinets in our 60s era kitchen without replacing the doors.

The cabinets were built in the kitchen out of an unknown wood species. They were painted white before we bought the house, and I plan to keep them that way. The hardware is brass with functional non-self-closing hinges and matching knobs and handles; I plan to replace all the hardware. The doors and drawer faces are slab with a radius edge all the way around. There are no detail pieces or accents on the cabinets.

After having watched a ton of remodeling shows on DIY and HGTV, we find ourselves wondering if we could add a feature of some sort to the fronts to give them some (dare I say it?) pop (I hate that expression).

I was thinking perhaps a rectangle of this or this or this or something similar.

Do any of you have any opinions of how it would look on a radius edged door? I'm probably going to buy a couple of pieces and mock up a couple once I get some feedback.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any pictures of the cabinets ???
If I can ever get back to the house for more than a quick sleep and to-go meal, I'll take a couple of shots.

I love the fact that my daughter is playing volleyball, but I haven't sat down in our living room in 3 weeks, and I have computers at home that are getting dusty keyboards from neglect.

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
I knew a college kid who took Dollar Store woven thatch placemats & hot glued them to the faces of her cabinet doors. It looked really cool.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think it would look fine, if thats the look you want. I am making our kitchen cabinets right now and have made a few door panels out of cheep wood to see what I like, and how the carvings will work out in the center. I think the best way would be to find pictures, or make a couple different designs and decide from there. I am not a fan of the "rope" detail, and mitering the corners take a bit more planing to get it to look good. Going with that you may want to use some sort of a corner block to end the rope into.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After MUCH delay, here are some shots of the cabinet doors that I am trying to add some personality to.

My wife's friend wants us to do a glaze over them, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The raised panel or beaded face trim in a different color could look great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My wife and I just "remodeled" our kitchen a month ago. Our budget was around the $400 that included a "new" stove, countertops, paint, microwave, and the new #6 wire for the stove. We replaced the counter and gave everything a quick paint and added a bar. Our kitchen was done around the same era yours was by the looks of it. When we bought the house we bought all new grab handles for all the doors which really helped it out. I would suggest a little bit of wood filler to fill the slats that are cut into the dummy drawers. We filled, sanded, and painted our to help it not look so dated. I was tossing around the idea of running a router over the edge of the cabinets to put a detail on the outside edge. I thought it would really look neat. From your suggestions I like the roping the best.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I've got the EXACT same doors with the exact same hardware in the same but unpainted mystery wood stained a dark mahogany... I'll be watching this thread for some ideas as well!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
You might want to consider looking at some of the raised panel doors in cabinet shops. A lot of them are flat panel doors like yours with a carved and routed face piece centered on them. If you have a router it's fairly simple to make these overlay pieces in the shop and then glue and screw them to the drawer or cabinet face. Gives a really nice three dimensional look to the cabinets.

I did this in my sisters house years ago and they still are getting compliments from people that visit. Our kitchen cabinets I made from old barn wood. Took over thirty coats of thinned Varithane (Sp?) to seal them. I'll never use old lumber again but they did turn out nice. Working with warped and uneven lumber sucks.

We "spruced up" the kitchen in a rental one time. Made the mistake of using an ornate patterned strip not unlike the rope you are considering. It was hard to keep clean and ended up looking cluttered. We've since stuck with the simpler and more classic designs.

Most areas have a kitchen design place around. They often have drawer pulls and other hardware that are well worth the 50% higher price they cost. If you stop by and check out the hardware you're liable to find cabinet doors you want to copy or at least get some workable ideas. Big thing, to my way of thinking, is to not get in a hurry or get too complicated. Good luck with your project.

Mike

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
From my experience I'd go with option 3 of the "this" selection. As was pointed out earlier the rope moulding can be a problem to get all of the corners to look good. The third option will not overwhelm your cabinets and will help set off that new countertop. The mystery wood is probably fir or birch plywood. They were commonly used for the cabinets because of it's nondescript grain and great stability. Be careful if you decide to do any routing on the edges. The doors look like 3/8" inset doors and don't leave much to work with. Have fun with the remodel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts