My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
A big thank you to the Moderators and Administrators. Your work is much appreciated.

I want to thank specifically Little Tractor Guy for his work and effort in editing, and his patience in getting just the right pictures of my Grandchildren in.

Most of all Thanks to All the members who have posted already. As i read through these this morning - still not at full speed - worked NYE gig and got home at 2:30am - I was reminded of why MTF is such a great place to spend time.

Hey! How about that Tractor of the Month this time!!!!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Congrats! slkpk

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Congrats! :congrats: It sounds like you have and are living a very blessed life. :thThumbsU

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,297 Posts
Congratulations Al!! Very well deserved indeed. Love the pics of your NH land. Looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us!

·
4,156 Posts
:congrats:

as a music lover you have me curious about the singing times....got any sound bites???
Thank you for the kind words JAR. I feel a kinship w/ all music lovers.

Recognizing this is a forum about tractors, I intentionally made the explanation of the origins of my MTF member name short. I’ll endeavor to keep this pithy as well.

I was in my late 20’s with a wife and two children when I realized if I did not sing I would always be unfulfilled personally. But what to do about THAT? With such important responsibilities it would be silly and irresponsible to pursue such a career.

With a partner I formed a sub S Corp and we decided we would create a High End General Business band. We shared a vision of being the best product available in our region. We gathered some wonderful talent around us. Within 4-5 yrs we were doing well enough that I was able to leave my “day job”, and lived my dream to sing for a living. Many on here will know there is no substitute for doing exactly what you are passionate about in your working life. We did a ton of weddings and other private parties, Corporate events, and an occaisional concert. It was all about connecting with the people for me.

When we started there was no internet. We developed several classy brochures to show us and explain to potential customers our philosophy and work ethic. Those, along with audio and video recordings, word of mouth, referrals, and live reviews brought the inquiries in. It helped as time went by that there were hundreds of extremely satisfied clients.

By the time we stopped taking dates – about 28 yrs in all – about 6 yrs ago - the internet was how bands like us were sold. We knew we were winding down and never redeveloped our marketing geared that way. As a result there is no link to refer you to.

Somewhere along the way I became known to a bandleader in the Boston area who runs a 16pc Big Swing Band. I was invited to work as a front man for his band on a freelance basis. I took dates when my own organization was not booked. I have worked with them now for about 24 years total, and am blessed to still do so.

For this work I needed promotional material – the pic in my article is used……. Still. So people wonder who the heck I am when i show up! HaHa. I went into a studio with a jazz trio and laid down 4 tracks for that purpose. I am not a recording artist, nor am I still in the business of promoting myself.

For anyone curious enough to want to hear my music, I will be happy to email you digital files if you would care to provide an email address via PM. I am also willing to send you the 4 cuts on CD, should you prefer.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Very interesting CA!!

I tell you that since I started playing, my taste in music has grown quite a bit, and now I search out the more oddball never heard any more styles.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
Al congratulations and I really enjoyed your comments about working on a farm, you're right farm boys are the only ones I know that are driving at those ages .... or earlier on a family farm! A full size tractor when your that age is immensely fun but dangerous! Your addiction to G.A.S is incurable so I just recommend to keep indulging it as much as possible!

·
Super Moderator
16,923 Posts
Congrats-Al to a very deserving member!

Loved the write up about you--very informative..

glenn

·
4,156 Posts
Very interesting CA!!

I tell you that since I started playing, my taste in music has grown quite a bit, and now I search out the more oddball never heard any more styles.

Sent from the MTF Free App
Is the picture in your avatar you Paul? One never knows for sure! For example Littletractorguy is not actually that guy! LOL. What do you play?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good looking tractors sir! The best pictures are the grandchildren sir, thats where you are truly blessed, God bless you and your family.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,297 Posts
Is the picture in your avatar you Paul? One never knows for sure! For example Littletractorguy is not actually that guy! LOL. What do you play?
Actually Al, this pic of Paul was taken at a tractor show we attended about 6 or 7 years ago.

·
4,156 Posts
Actually Al, this pic of Paul was taken at a tractor show we attended about 6 or 7 years ago.

Thank you Ellis. Actually I have always wondered whether this photo is the actual member. And I have always had a curiosity about the music the man in the picture makes. So nice to be caught up - a bit.

Obviously you play guitar Paul. I would like to know more about your music. Perhaps I can catch up on it at some tractor show soon. Do I remember your posting recently that you were selling off some of your collection? Or am I confusing you with someone else.

·
4,156 Posts
.......The best pictures are the grandchildren...... thats where you are truly blessed............
Amen - someone else earlier made a similar observation also. Exactly... My children and grandchildren are my treasures.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,297 Posts
Thank you Ellis. Actually I have always wondered whether this photo is the actual member. And I have always had a curiosity about the music the man in the picture makes. So nice to be caught up - a bit.

Obviously you play guitar Paul. I would like to know more about your music. Perhaps I can catch up on it at some tractor show soon. Do I remember your posting recently that you were selling off some of your collection? Or am I confusing you with someone else.
My pleasure, Al. I'm sure Gramps(nickname) will be along shortly to add a bit.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,096 Posts

·
4,156 Posts
Only for reasons of copyright! Otherwise, I bear a striking resemblance to him! :sidelaugh:sidelaugh
I was quite sure of that LTG. I picture you looking younger than that guy. Sure would have been embarrassing if like Paul, it actually was you! :hide:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Congratulations on being the January MOM.

:ditto: to the remarks made by other members :thThumbsU

I enjoyed reading the summary of your early years and identified with the work you did on the "farm". When I was a teenager I used to ride my bike out to my pastor's farm and work on the hay wagon during the summer. I refused to take any pay for the work done as I considered it "fun" and not "work".

Flash forward twenty years to our family when we purchased a 75 acre farm in central Indiana and I proceeded to become the "city farmer" that was always in my blood.

After 25 years on the farm we moved to Texas where we currently spend the majority of our time but our Indiana farm is still our "real" home. (My avatar is a photo of the Indiana house we built). We have four wonderful children who grew up on the farm, performing the usual the farm duties such as hay making, harvesting, feeding cattle, gathering eggs, garden work, etc. None of our kids worked off-farm until they went to college (2 have Doctorates 1 medical, 1 law, 2 have Master Degrees) and all of them were well grounded and are highly motivated.

We now have 8 grandchildren and six of them (and their parents) regularly visit the farm (a 70 mile drive for one family and a 90 mile drive for the other family), even if we are not there (typically weekly). The grand-kids range from 4 to 10 years old and they tell us that the farm is their favorite place to be - even better than Disney World. (They have all been to Disney World so this is a high complement).

The farm is about 1/2 tillable and the balance is a rolling, wooded, ravine saturated wonderland (with 2 creeks) for exploration and trailblazing. The grandchildren are now repeating the experience their parents enjoyed.

The two grandchildren who are not regular visitors live in Albania, Europe and are unable to visit as frequently as their cousins, but when they do, they fit right in.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts