My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
21,608 Posts
On my Google home page I have "Recipe's of the Day" as one of the widgets. They had Jalapeno Bread and Butter Pickles on there today. Sounded good!

Jalapeno Bread and Butter Pickles

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have also preserved them in Extra Virgin Olive oil with Italian herbs.
First, peppers are a low acid fruit so that there is a danger of botulism growing in them if they are pickled in a medium other than high acid vinegar. Second, high heat is the way to safely pickle even in vinegar which requires a hot bath submersion of the jars. That said your peppers (or pickles) will turn to mush when canned at high temperatures if they are not prepared properly. My wife and I have been canning pickles and peppers for many years and here is the process we have developed - works great for both.

After cleaning and slicing our pickles and/or peppers we ice them in large crocks or plastic bowls in layers of ice sprinkled with pickling lime (available at stores that sell canning supplies). For best results leave your pickles/peppers in the ice bath for 18 hours. The lime must be rinsed well from the sliced fruits so we soak them and then rinse and strain them three times in cold water. This ice/lime process is the secret to pickles and peppers that retain a marvelous crunch, color, and taste even after canning.

Now fill sterilized Mason or Ball canning jars (not regular glass jars) with your pickles/peppers and then pour on boiling vinegar brine seasoned with dill, sugar, or whatever according to your recipe and depending on the type of pickles you want. We also like to throw in a clove of home-grown garlic and a grape leaf.

Place the Ball or Mason lids and collars on the jars and submerse them in boiling water (over the tops of the jars by at least an inch). Allow them to heat at a boil for ten minutes and then remove them and allow to cool. If everything is done properly the lids will pop and seal and you're done. Your pickles/peppers will last up to two to three years on the shelf and have a satisfying crunch and flavor when you eat them.

I like to mix jalapenos in with pickles though my wife doesn't do hot so we pickle both hot and wimpy (normal) batches. I also like to slice up banana peppers and hot red bomb peppers and mix them with jalapenos. That makes a very attractive jar (I call them my Christmas pepper mix for the red and green colors) and it tones down the heat a bit.

Before we learned the process described above we canned batches of pickles that were marginal (soft and vinegary) and peppers that were too mushy to eat. Now everything that we can is very attractive to look at, has a great crunch, and the taste is great. Our friends are always returning our canning jars and begging for refills.

JN

21 - 22 of 22 Posts