My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the thickness of the plywood that is used to form the backing of the seat. I would imagine it is at least 1/2" as it is the only thing that the operator sits on so it needs to be able to have some rigid support.
Mine was totally rotted away when I started my resto. Also what would be the square dimensions of the bottom and backing?

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
Jay...
I could give you specifics in a couple of weeks. Right now though...
1/2" was the original plywood. 3/4" would make a more rigid seat. I would guess you'd simply add slightly less padding. Probably doesn't make a difference.
I made the back first. I left approx. 1/4" gap across the top and sides to allow for upholstery. I sanded and varnished the wood for weatherproofing and used two t-nuts, from the folks at ACE, for mounting. Now the bottom... same thing,
allowing a 1/4" gap on the sides...sanded, varnished, and three t-nuts across the front. I am not sure of the depth of the seat yet. You have to be able to reach into the gap between the back and bottom and have clearance to open the seat. As for upholstery... it has improved greatly over the years. Although I
will look into black leather. Leather? Saddles didn't have vinyl!
Note: You should be able to get 24" x 24" pcs. of plywood at the lumber yard.
Good luck with it!

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
Forgot to add that drilling a few 1" holes in the seat plywood would prevent seam blow outs and would help the cushion dry quicker if gotten wet.

·
aardvark161
65 Posts
i used 1/2'' marine ply for my back and seat, 1 1/2 foam for the back and 2'' for the seat, used the spike nuts for the bolts to tread in to, and all was good

·
aardvark161
65 Posts
Jay i would measure your tub, from the front edge to the back less a 1/4'' then side to side less 1/2'' (1/4'' spare each side).. The back, from top to the bend in the back less 1/2'' and the same from side to side

1 - 7 of 7 Posts