My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:howdy:Back around '77 I bought a new Jacobsen self-propelled mulching mower. It had a 4HP Briggs, deep aluminum deck, dual cutting blades (one full size and one at 90deg and about half lenght) NO provision for a chute or bagging and a very weak self-propel. After replacing the self-propel twice in 2 years, I traded it off on a brown painted 3-in-1 Briggs powered L-B clone, with a equally troublesome self-propel. Of all the mowers I've had, the Jake was by far the best mulcher. The same machine was marketed by Homelite a couple years later. That mower, with todays higher torque/horsepower engine and a Oregon Gator blade would be unstoppable!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I suspect your mower looked like this. This is a Homelite/Jacobsen sold by Sears as a Craftsman. I bought it as a deck and put a newer Briggs on it. It like yours had the self propelled broke so i converted it to a push. It is a great mulcher. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK! Now I know a place to try for parts if I ever scare up another deck! That cross-blade adapter would be tough otherwise, 'specially since thier must have two different lenghts of them---one for self-propelled and one with out.:thanku:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey rhenning, if you get the time, could you give me the serial and model #'s for your Craftsman mulcher please. I would really appreciate it. The only difference between yours and mine is color and since mine was older, it didn't have the OPC handles on it. Even the wheels are identical. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I thought the Jacobsen 'doughnut' decks were higher and with the fixed dual blades (not like honda's). I almost bought a mint one last year on craigs for cheap but my garage is too small.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mantas, you're right on both counts---the decks are much deeper than normal and both blades are fixed bar blades. They are mounted in a special mount on the engine crankshaft that holds the blades at 90deg to each other. One blade is normal lenght, from side to side in the deck, while the second blade is only about half that lenght, but at 90deg to the main blade, making an "X".

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Shinytopgeezer I will eventually get the serial number for you as at this point it is the next mower to come out of the storage building. Roger

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Shinytopgeezer I got to the point I could see the serial number and it is 517.372500. Last time I looked Sears basically had almost no parts for it. In your talks about stacking blades the set up is basically what JD used on their 44 inch Piranha mulching decks. Homelite times 3 sets. Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts