My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been putting up a wanted ad for Jacobsen reel mowers for quite some time.
I finally got a bite today.
Gentleman has a lawn queen with the original manual told me it runs and sent me a picture.

he told me he didn't know what it was worth i told him basically between 25 and 50 depending on condition. I told him i would pay him 50 because he has the manual and it runs.
What do you guys think? Good price?
Dan B.
:smilie_fl

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think it's fair. Unless, you feel guilty and want to give him a little more. I think he ought to get a prize for keeping so nice for you!

Looks like a winner to me. Congratulations! Incredible find...

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks thats what i was thinking this guy kept in excellent condition!
thanks for the response!
Dan B. :smilie_fl

·
Registered
347 Posts
If he'll take $50, feel blessed.

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
too bad for me. i told him 50 he sent me this:

"I take it you're not serious....
I wouldn't sell the manual for $15.00

I'd start at $300 or so..."

·
Registered
347 Posts
too bad for me. i told him 50 he sent me this:

"I take it you're not serious....
I wouldn't sell the manual for $15.00

I'd start at $300 or so..."
Same happened to me over the weekend. I was going to buy a gold buttercup and they orginal owner had documentation, bos and manual. Agreed to sell it to me, then emailed me yesterday saying that it was dad's and the whole family wanted a piece of the action. Basically, telling me that they thought it was worth a million bucks. The worst part is that I offered $150!

If you really want it, he'd probably do $200, but he may know what he has!

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
almost makes me think of pawn stars or american pickers where the guy thinks he's on a gold mine! ah hello we are on planet earth here. i don't even think that restored pristine Jacobsen lawn queens go for 300$.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What a coincidence. Last night I saw an episode of Pawn Stars. A lady brought in a broach that she was expecting $2K for. They told her it was
Fabergé from the early 20th century Czarist period and because he was "honest" he would give her $15K. She then asked for $25K. I know the Pawn guy was going to sell it 6x what he paid for it, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I she wanted more take it to a jeweler or sell it on crapBay. i would have called a big auction house like Southeby's. That broach would fetch $100K there. I don't think ou mowers are headed there anytime soon, but who knows. Brass trains Lionels are sold at big elite auction houses all the time now.

Maybe one day this guy's Lawn Queen will be on the podium with arrogant moneybags bidding on them for their patrician lawns.

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol saw the same episode. he was like "I have a conscience... so.. 15... thousand"

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
dang nice,
if it went thru flea bay it'd prob be really high

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Nice find! Wow, it's sure got most all of the original paint intact too. That's really cool you got one. Definitely keep us updated on it!:fing32:

$25-50 is what these old girls seem to go for. There really isn't much interest in antique reel mowers (yet) and because of that, prices for them are pretty low. Most of the time they don't even sell on Ebay for around the $20 range.

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd didn't get it. 300$ is too much for my budget even 200$ is too much. :(

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the other night I got an email from another gentleman with a lawn queen asked me what I was offering i told him 25 to 50$ depending on condition... haven't got a response yet. I think these guys think they are on top of gold pile... unfortunate for me. BUT WAIT... I just got another bite today!! A jacobsen estate mower guy sent me picture, this time i asked for a price because I'm not sure what they are worth. haha

Heres the pics he sent beautiful condition better than the first I am also wondering if it missing a piece looks like it.

what do you guys think I should ask for this????

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Looks like it's at least missing a belt. That's probably an easy fix. Nice looking machine. I have no idea what that'd be worth.

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think thats the pulley to start it

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Nice! Wow, if that's all the original paint.

It does look like it's missing the cable and handle that wraps around the recoil wheel, but could be replaced with a modern rope.

This also has the bigger 521 engine, same as my Lawn King. Recognize the muffler?

A ballpark figure I'd say would be somewhere around $75-125 for this one. Just an estimate though and like you've found, it all depends on the seller.

·
Self-Declared Mechanic
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im wondering if its missing the black faceplate like yours has.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
im wondering if its missing the black faceplate like yours has.
It may or may not have come originally with one of those, it's hard to say. My old brochures show some in the pictures with them, and also some without just like this one is with the muffler exposed. Maybe it depended on the year, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Upon a closer look at the photos, I don't think that it did have a hood. I don't see the two mounting holes for the front of it that should be there on the deck if it did and it does not have a second engine cover for the otherside which is part of what it would mount on to.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts