My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,here are a few pics of my 1962 Jacobsen Chief 100b.I puchased this tractor around mid March earlier this year,I originaly bought this machine to do yard and garden work and didnt plan on fixing it up,after getting it running I kept looking at it in its decrepit condition until I couldn't stand it any further,I had to do something about the peeling red paint job. Being the perfectionist that I am,I decided I could not just leave it at a new paint job,thats when I got the Idea of totally restoring it.Since then I have sandblasted and finished the metal work on the hood,I still have to fabricate a few pieces and hunt down some rare original Jacobsen parts like the brake band and brake drum.I will post some more pics on what I have gotten done tomorow until then enjoy.

Here is a pic of the tractor with a freshly sandblasted hood.If you look closely you can see that someone before me brazed in a new corner I have since repaired this.

Here is a pic of the wireing,what a mess,I made a few alterations but have to reference the manual when I go to rewire.

This picture is what is left of the brake system,I dont know where the pulley came from or who put it on for that matter but I don't believe it is the original brake pulley.

Anouther part,missing there should be a belt gaurd that covers this drive pulley.

Here's anouther none original part,but I have to admit I do like the look of the pan seat.

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep finally started a thread,just about to post some more pics.

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After spending the last couple of weekends shoveling out my garage I can finally get to work on some of the metal work,since I have already sandblasted the hood I decided to start with that.

I didnt get a chance to snap some pictures of the hood before I cut off the corners,but here is a pic of one of the corners that someone before me had brazed on.

This is a picture of of the hood after I had cut the corner off,at first I tried to melt the braze with my torch,but come to find out that my torch is no were nere hot enough to melt it.I tried to leave as much of the hood intact as possible.

This,is after I had welded on a new piece of sheet metal,I ground down the weld to make it a smooth finish.I left a little bit of extra matierial on the hood because I was unsure what the radius of the corner was going to be.

Here is the finished corner ready for the next step.

This is the under side of the corner(before and after)Not one of my better welds but it will hold.This is probably more for aesthetics,even though its underneath the hood it still has to look good.

And here is the ground down finished product.

Done with the other corner.

And finally here she is at the end of a long day.

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will try my hand at making a hood latch.As far as I know these early Jakes had fairly simple latch systems,just a piece of spring steel with a bend in them to hold pressure against the hood,when you wanted to raise the hood you just pulled back the piece of steel and lifted the hood.

First,I will try a piece of thicker mild steel (16 gauge)

Here is after I cut it out and made a few bends.

Heres the latch bolted to the tractor resting on the hood.

After trying the latch a couple of times I reliezed that the steel did not have enough spring to it,something I kind of reliezed when working with the mild steel.I decided to try hardening and tempering the steel to give it a slight springy quality.Sorry didnt get pictures of the hardening process but here is a picture of when I was tempering it in my oven.

Even after tempering the steel I found that it still did not have the springy quality I was looking for,(It wanted to bend more than flex)I repeated this prosses with a thinner 22 gauge steel but even then the steel was still not flexible enough.So I sc***** this idea for now,I was thinking some thin spring steel like they use in pull starts,or even the steel bands they use to wrap lumber together at the lumber yard.I think it would work as long as I heated the parts of the steel that I needed to bend to kill it,what do you guys think?

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone out there have a clear picture of one of these hodd latches that I could use as a reference. I can't find one anywere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts