My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing the deck on my 220 today after having done a spindle bearing replacement and some welding/painting to the shell over the winter. My 220 is my occasional use yard tug so I didn't have a need to install the deck 'till I got the urge. Got the deck on in a jiffy, pulled out of the garage, engaged the PTO and man did that deck sound nice, quiet and smooth- for all of about 10sec. All of a sudden *BINK*, the deck drive pulley pops out about a foot in front of the tractor like a piece of toast and the deck coasts to a stop.:banghead3 Apparently I didn't torque the pulley nut enough.:crybaby: Of course the woodruff key and nut are no where to be found. Beware of loose nuts folks.

Joel

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Man Joel, I hate it when things like that happen!:banghead3

·
Registered
690 Posts
yep, that sucks. but thanks for sharing, i got a nice little chuckle of the visual in my head of the pulley popping out like toast from a toaster, lol.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Those are supposed to be locknuts on the top of the spindles. Apparently, they are either the wrong nuts or they have lost the locking feature. Either way, I suggest that you use some blue Loctite or some other thread-locking compound on them and not rely on torque to keep them on. There are no lockwashers used on this application.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! good call. I do have a little tube of blue Loctite that I'll use on the next nut. I think what did me in is I applied never seize to the shaft before sliding the drive pulley on. The threads the lock nut threads on to had some never seize on it. I tried another search for that nut. No go. It would be a miracle to find the woodruff key in the grass.:fing20:

Joel

·
10,839 Posts
Of course the woodruff key and nut are no where to be found. Joel
I guarantee you will not find those, no matter how many times you mow over them, until you sharpen the blades. Then they'll pop up.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Ah! good call. I do have a little tube of blue Loctite that I'll use on the next nut. I think what did me in is I applied never seize to the shaft before sliding the drive pulley on. The threads the lock nut threads on to had some never seize on it. I tried another search for that nut. No go. It would be a miracle to find the woodruff key in the grass.:fing20:

Joel
Brian can sell you new ones and have them in the mail the same day.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I guarantee you will not find those, no matter how many times you mow over them, until you sharpen the blades. Then they'll pop up.
That method works but so does buying new ones. The old ones will be found after the new ones arrive. It's one of Murphy's laws.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For informational purposes, I was able to get a replacement lock nut and woodruff key from a nearby old-school mower/OPE shop. (around $6 out the door) The nut is a Stens, p/n 416-659. Says "Replaces Case 131-1331" on the bag. I brought in the pulley to match up the key. Hope the key fits the shaft as well. I'll get a chance to button it back up with some Loctite this week.

Joel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts