My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a J series, super convertable, on ebay.
The machine seems to work very well, I have cut brush with it, it starts easy and seems to have enough power. My only concern is that the oil pressure needle only goes slightly into the normal range. Revving it up does not move it much at all.
THe manual indicates it should be farther on the scale.
Should I be worried about this?
Thanks

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
I recently bought a J series, super convertable, on ebay.
The machine seems to work very well, I have cut brush with it, it starts easy and seems to have enough power. My only concern is that the oil pressure needle only goes slightly into the normal range. Revving it up does not move it much at all.
THe manual indicates it should be farther on the scale.
Should I be worried about this?
Thanks
DD- :MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel: There is no "J" series walkbehind. It is either an "L" or "C" series. In 1967 Gravely dropped the model "L" name and called it the model "C". The manufacturing number and some serial numbers started with "J" and I think you are confusing all the letter designations. If it is a super convertable like you say it would be a model "C". As for your oil pressure issue it could a major or minor issue. It could simply be the gauge going bad or the pick up screen in the tranny is partially clogged or the bottom end of the motor is in need of a rebuild (major). I would start with a new gauge and go from there. Good luck - Kris :rauch10:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to Kris and Helix,
Yes it is a super convertible so good to know it is a "C".
I read the link mentioned, and I think the first thing I will do is put in some Rotella SAE 30 I bought. I think the former owner has multigrade in it as it seems a little thin.
The machine has a fair number of hours on it judging from its looks.
It also has the rotary plow and tiller attachments. The "drive head" for the tiller is quite oily/greasy all over as if the seals are gone. How hard is it to replace the seals?

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Doc - having talked to a guy who worked on L's substantially, I learned that "buildup" can sometimes accumulate in the lower end, main bearing area of the tractor. This situation can also lead to a reading on the oil pressure scale that isn't always accurate. This gentleman also told me that he had yet to inspect an L engine's bottom end that didn't have at least some degree of buildup. So your pressure guage is only a guide - as mentioned, continue to look for that good pressure flow under the filler cap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts