My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I was scanning cl as I do almost daily for a deal on a nice j.d. and I came across this machine.
John Deere 265
17 Hp, Hydrostatic drive, Tilt steering, Adjustable seating position
46" mower, 42" snowblower, tire chains, wheel weights, extra blades

Impecably maintained. Very Good Condition.

What does everyone think? Looks like the owners lying about its condition, and is asking way too much $$$. It appears to be never maintained, in fair to poor condition, and in need of a restore. Just my opinion. Guess thats why I bought a new tractor after looking at 30 to 40 used machines that were supposed to be in excelent condition, and when I got there the machines were junk. Can't people just tell the truth. Venting over!! SORRY!

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Could be in mechanically very good condition, but they weren't much for keeping the paint touched up now were they? If this is the case, the wording of the ad should be different.

I feel your pain...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
"Impecably maintained. Very Good Condition" means it looks like this. This is my 12 year old gt275 (the one on the left), looked almost new when I sold it, including the deck. Never sat outside even for a day and always used all year round.

·
Registered
729 Posts
some peoples idea of maintained is different then others, the owner could have been a nitpick when it comes to mechanical and could care less about how it looks as long as it functions correctly.

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
i might be guilty of that ^^^^^^

·
Registered
729 Posts
Can i ask a question, what is that big morphydite handle on the fender deck of the 265. looks so dumb.
that would be the deck lift handle lol

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Oh no them guys on Craigslist would never lie.The are all straight shooters. Well maybe every other word may be a lie. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went through the same ordeal when I was looking for my mower. It seems as some peoples idea of great condition means running. I looked at quite a few mowers until I came across my new toy (1994 John Deere 455 low hours and great condition). They do have some good ones out there as I was lucky mine was only 1.5 hours away from me. Here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gone through it way too many times, I have just started to follow a new "policy" My policy is- if people lie and waste my time, then I waste theres and pick apart there machine, and then shoot them what they think is a ridiculously low price(because there machine is mint). Its worked on 3 tractors that my father and I have bought so far.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
I gone through it way too many times, I have just started to follow a new "policy" My policy is- if people lie and waste my time, then I waste theres and pick apart there machine, and then shoot them what they think is a ridiculously low price(because there machine is mint). Its worked on 3 tractors that my father and I have bought so far.
It always feels good to "steal" a tractor. You're always going to find something you missed when you get it home, so make certain you never pay what you really think it's worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts