My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this posting this morning. This tractor was certainly a product of a different age. One where you might feel the need to light up while mowing the lawn, evidently. Maybe lighters in tractors are more common than I think, but just wanted to share. FWIW, $150 will buy you this tractor. It's a 1977 Wheel Horse C160

·
Registered
550 Posts
Actually lighters were" not "uncommon back in the day...
Just one of the many many options you could get .🤣

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I use one all the time to run my small water pump from---kinda handy actually ---- I dont smoke but use the lighter socket a lot----also plug in my work light when harvesting veggies at night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Came across this posting this morning. This tractor was certainly a product of a different age. One where you might feel the need to light up while mowing the lawn, evidently. Maybe lighters in tractors are more common than I think, but just wanted to share. FWIW, $150 will buy you this tractor. It's a 1977 Wheel Horse C160 View attachment 2473567 View attachment 2473568
Wouldn’t mind having. Where are you located? That would be the deal breaker!
Does it run & cut grass?
I have a J.C. Penney that’s 18HP and probably going to sell it and tinker with something else.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wouldn’t mind having. Where are you located? That would be the deal breaker!
Does it run & cut grass?
I have a J.C. Penney that’s 18HP and probably going to sell it and tinker with something else.
It's in Madison WI. Not my tractor, the ad said it didn't run. I tried looking again on Marketplace and can't find it. So maybe it sold already.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The x738 that just followed me home has a 12V powerport.

Gotta admit, I think that's the first lawnmower/garden tractor I've seen with a factory lighter.

I do recall that some of the 60's and newer open station JD farm tractors had them.

I can remember when a lighter was an option in a car.
Of course if they didn't have the factory one, it was common to pop out the plug in the hole and add an aftermarket one.
We've come full circle. ( AFAIK, a smokers package is still an available option).
But the 12V powerport is likely standard.
Probably also have both usb charge port(s) and uab data port(s)

·
close enuff works for me
3,088 Posts
In the 1970 there was a cigarette lighter in almost every car from the factory,,I remember working at a car wash in 1973 ,,cadillacs had a large ash tray and lighter in the dash and ash trays and lighters in the arm rests of both rear doors

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Will have to look in to the lighter thing. If the 1m candle power light will power up it maybe worth it. Would make one big head light. Mowing in the dark would not be a problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Back then way more folks smoked than today. And, while I bet that folks drank water as much then as they do today, soda pop and bottled water were not as ubiquitous then as now, and as a result we have drink holders (my Sears tractor has a drink holder on the fender - it collects nuts and bolts and all sorts of stuff. Mfr's are going to give us what we want.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I KNEW it. Just scrapped out a Simplicity 7117, I took a few parts off for my 7112 including the wiring harness. I kept looking at this receptacle and thought " that looks like a cig lighter"!

·
Administrator
11,804 Posts
In the 1970 there was a cigarette lighter in almost every car from the factory,,I remember working at a car wash in 1973 ,,cadillacs had a large ash tray and lighter in the dash and ash trays and lighters in the arm rests of both rear doors
Yep, my 1979 Olds Toronado has lighters and ash trays in both armrests for the back seat too. Who knew they where really just planning ahead of their time designing in charger sockets for the future electronic handhelds. 😄 When I was a teen and my parents went on vacation I plugged my little AC/DC black and white TV into them and used a set of rabbit ears clamped to the rain gutter (something else that has vanished on new cars) to watch TV as we went through the larger cities. Signal though did a lot of flipping and was snowy when rolling down the road. That never worked out as well as I'd hoped. 😄 Yeah and kids today think they invented watching video in the car. 😉

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Even the 97 Cadillac my parents had, had two lighters up front and lighters in the rear seat armrests. More recently, having more lighters was probably aimed more at providing power for mobile devices, and more recently, they are switching to USB ports.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Back then way more folks smoked than today. And, while I bet that folks drank water as much then as they do today, soda pop and bottled water were not as ubiquitous then as now, and as a result we have drink holders (my Sears tractor has a drink holder on the fender - it collects nuts and bolts and all sorts of stuff. Mfr's are going to give us what we want.
I can remember as a kid going into a resteraunt at night with my parents. When you would open the door smoke would just billow out...and not cooking smoke either. Nearly all the adults would be smoking.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
My, interesting how times change, isn't it? As much as you would like to ignore it, roughly 14% of the USA smokes cigarettes today. As for the water and soda part, you can thank the advertising industry for that. Nestlé S.A. is the largest food & drink manufacturer in the world. About 30 years ago, they began purchasing the rights to water and began bottling it. Then the campaign to sell it began. There are many local jurisdictions that are selling massive amounts of water for almost nothing to them. Virtually all the bottled water you buy today is nothing more than filtered tap water, the same thing you get out of your faucet.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
My, interesting how times change, isn't it? As much as you would like to ignore it, roughly 14% of the USA smokes cigarettes today. As for the water and soda part, you can thank the advertising industry for that. Nestlé S.A. is the largest food & drink manufacturer in the world. About 30 years ago, they began purchasing the rights to water and began bottling it. Then the campaign to sell it began. There are many local jurisdictions that are selling massive amounts of water for almost nothing to them. Virtually all the bottled water you buy today is nothing more than filtered tap water, the same thing you get out of your faucet.
Guess that depends upon who's tap you're taking the water from. Water is water but the impurities change. Oh and not all bottled water is the same either regardless what some want to think.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts