My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been sittin here thinkin about this, and it might be noobish. Ive looked though the archives and cant find it. Why is it that we can have 2 cycle weedeaters,blowers,saws,hedge trimmers, edgers, etc.... But we cant have the 2 cycle lawn mower. is it because the motor is bigger and puts out more fumes or what?

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Yeah, I think one of the main reasons is that 2 strokes really aren't considered to be very 'environmentally friendly' these days and because of that, it has just made it a lot more difficult for manufactures to meet those regulations with a 2 stroke design.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bigger is part of it. EPA standards vary by displacement with 20cc, 50cc and 225cc cutoff points. Bigger engines have stricter standards. Another part of it is that handheld engines have less strict standards.

It's not difficult to design and manufacture a 2-cycle engine that meets EPA standards. Evinrude's 2-cycle outboard E-TEC series meets current regulations including EPA, CARB and Europe. The largest E-TEC engine weighs 516 pounds. These engines range from 40 to 250 horsepower. They're 100 times cleaner than a 4-stroke on carbon monoxide, 600 parts per million compared to 11,000.

Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki have designed 2-cycle lawn mower engines that meet EPA standards but the market is too small to produce them and likely will remain that way. Consumers really don't want 2-stroke lawn mowers particularly since there's little or no initial cost advantage.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never thought of that. My sthil FS-90 has got a 4-MIX motor. Its quiet and one tank of gas in it, is like 2 tanks in my old 55 and 80.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
i think 4 mix technology could eaisly be adapted to lawnmower engines. no one seems want to take the plunge though
i've been saying this for a few years...might actually be fun to see it in a street bike/car !

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
We need a 2-stroke forum!!

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
Its been so long since I have had a 4 stroke mower that I probably would not even think of changing oil in it if I had I say HAD to get one. You can have my Lawn-Boy after you pry the handle out of my cold dead hands!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Heh, I was just idly wondering how my 'Boys running on Amsoil at 80:1 would compare emissions-wise to say, a Briggs Quantum engine. Then I was thinking it would be very difficult to hook up a "sniffer" to a below the deck muffler, so how would we ever know?

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,127 Posts
Heh, I was just idly wondering how my 'Boys running on Amsoil at 80:1 would compare emissions-wise to say, a Briggs Quantum engine. Then I was thinking it would be very difficult to hook up a "sniffer" to a below the deck muffler, so how would we ever know?
They say it is not the oil that is the culprit with these 2 strokes, but the fact that they release more unburned fuel into the atmosphere than the 4 strokes do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts