My Tractor Forum banner

It's great when it all comes together!!

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  slip knot 
#1 ·
I've been puting up with a hard starting and less than ideal running 2N tractor for awhile now. New points, rebuilt carb and cussing didn't help any so I pulled the front mount coil, cleaned out the insides, soldered a couple wires and hooked up an external round coil and couldn't be happier. Starts good, hot or cold, runs good and just a pleasure to work. Pulling a 7ft finish mower in the pictures.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a good thing about these old tractors. There is so much going on in the world today that we don't have any control over and can't do much about, but these ol tractors act up occasionally and give us the opportunity to take charge, spend a couple bucks and feel like we accomplished something. Good for the soul. The simplicity of the design makes it possible for just about anyone to do their own maintenance and get that feeling of accomplishment we all need once in a while.

#5 ·
I never let the grass get too tall..usually cut only about 2 or 3 inches. Really can't even tell it's back there. I run it about 2/3s throttle, about 3 mph and it just loafs along. Does a fine job of cutting.

When I get the 4000 back together I will use it for the grass cutting duty. I enjoy the 2N more than the 4000. It steers better and doesn't seem like it is in a hurry to get finished.

I bought the 7 footer to go with the 4000 and when it died on me I thought I would give the 2N a try. It didn't let me down.

#8 ·
ryork I hear ya on the 2N comming to life and the feel you have when its doing what you want.:thThumbsU

I am from old school on the coils. but my old school just dont go back as far as the tractor. I had coils and either they were good or they were bad. My coil that came off was giving me spark but it just was not hot enough. This is new to me, but I bet its been going on for years with these ole tractors.:fing20:

#9 ·
I used to buy old cutters and redo the tops for extra$$$. I found that some cutters ran better on my 8N and some ran better on my 2N. I always assumed it was the gear box ratio on the cutter. Never really pursued it though. all things being equal, I found that the draft style blades gave me a better cut than the straight blade .

#10 ·
I've never had the blades off yet due to it being new, but I think they are a low or medium draft blade. It is heavy enough, 840lbs if I remember right, that the 2N won't lift it high enough to take a good look. I don't even try to lift it. I know THAT would be asking a little more from it than it needs to do.

Whatever kind of blade it has does a better job of cutting than either of my White GT2055s. I'm not knocking the Whites. One has a 50" deck and the other a 60". They have both been good tractors for the past 12 years, but 10 acres is a little more than they were designed for, I think. The rear discharge on the LandPride vs the side discharge on the Whites helps a lot to keep the grass looking even without leaving clumps or trails. I still use the Whites around the yard close to the house and around the places the 7 footer can't go.

#11 ·
I really wish my LandPride was a rear discharge, what I cut is so heavy in spots it looks like a hay wind rows even when I make sure to stay on top of the cutting. Have you noticed yours missing a strip of grass when you make a turn? Mine will sometimes miss about a 6" strip if I turn sharp to the right, no big deal I just don't turn right...

#12 ·
No. I usually cut two or three strips around the perimeter of the area and then when I make my turns the grass is already cut. Another advantage of the rear discharge is being able to cut in any direction without leaving mowing trails.

The blades on the LandPride are supposed to be positioned to provide an overlap and not leave the strip of uncut grass. Wonder why it does it to the right and not the left?

#14 ·
Could you possibly guide me on the wiring used to install a round coil? I just bought a replacement front mount coil for the 9N and next time around I'm going round coil. I'm having a brain cramp on how to wire it, not the 12v input wire but the high voltage plug wire from the center post of the coil to the existing front mount coil location. I'm sure this is simple but my brain is making it difficult.

Thank you

Joe

#15 ·
This website will tell you more than I can. It is the one I used as a guide.

http://www.theviperr.info/hobo_dnn/?tabid=69

It is fairly straight forward. I used a heat gun to melt the tar in the old coil. Then just a little soldering. I mounted the coil holder with the oil filter bolt. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.