My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great job!!! Gonna look even better when you get the decals. What year/make and model is that. A few questions.
1. Is that jake orange? or Kubota?
2. Are those the original size tires or from an ATV?
3. I thought the grilles on the Jakes were Siler, kinda like your exhaust, was yours originally white?
4. What did you use for a sand blaster
5. What elkse did you do beside "cosmetic" did you rebuild the engine or anything?

Again, great Job, can u lift the hood and snap more pics, kinda gives the rest of us more motivation.

·
aardvark161
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jay its a 1968 chief 1000, its in kubota orange after talking to Ransome the paints are no longer avaliable over here so kubota is the closest match the white is a mix between David Brown Orchid white and International White which i matched to the original paint i found under the hood decals, as for the grille ive only gone on the pics ive seen if it is silver i will change it, can you confirm its silver? As for the engine its had a full service a couple of leaky gaskets changed but nothing else, compression is great and runs well, a typical Kohler, the main work done was on the rotten and pitted body, repaired the rear tub including new wing new side panels, new wiring loom, check my Hello thread and better than new tread, some picks on there, Tyres are from my quad bike 24/8.5-12 Innova Mud Gear

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
A fine job, "mate"!! The grille screen was originally the same color as the hood and wheels.
Some refer to it as white but as you mentioned, the original color can be found under the
hood decals. I spent considerable time searching and found Ace Hardware's "ivory" to be the best match. Not the best quality paint but the best match. I've dumped "a few coins" on my tractor so far and may end up having a body shop paint the hood, wheels, and front grille.
That's a lot of work in short order...It's outstanding.
You have the original style muffler. It extends much further than the original but if you look at a lot of jakes, the shorter exhaust tended to blacken the hood and grille housing.
Again... Great Job.

·
aardvark161
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks neil, i purposly extended the mufler to avoid the soot on the hood 10.5 inches of 1'' stainless did the trick, hoping to have the decals from maplehunter by the end of the week, already got my eye on the next project, a 1947 Ransome MG2

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
I am guessing Ransomes is... British? Somewhere along the way I believe I read that Ransomes bought out the Jacobsen/Textron brand. Post a pic if possible.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Aardvark, excellent job. Your attention to detail is outstanding. Thanks for posting pics so we all can appreciate a job well done.

Ditto on the wives. God Bless 'em!

·
aardvark161
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jay, just used a hopper fed sand blast gun hold about 2 lbs of media like a gravity fed spray gun,
Neil, think it was the otherway round , i thought Jacobsen bought Ransome, then became Textron, but i may be wrong.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Aardvark161- I remeber you said that according to your research the front grilles are white- but i just looked at a thread that neil started when he picked up his jake- I think it was titles "My $120 find" and I see that the grille is a dark color, maybe original stainless steel that has rusted or even a black. Am I correct?

·
aardvark161
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Neil commented earlier in this thread and confimed the grille is the same colour as the Hood and wheels, in my case white, think my front looks a bit odd as it needs the Jake logo to break up the white

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
Jay, My grille screen was rusty then. All color brochures I have seen of Jakes had the grille
screen matching the hood and wheels. Also the headlight assembly with black trim.

·
aardvark161
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Jay its a 1968 chief 1000, its in kubota orange after talking to Ransome the paints are no longer avaliable over here so kubota is the closest match the white is a mix between David Brown Orchid white and International White which i matched to the original paint i found under the hood decals, as for the grille ive only gone on the pics ive seen if it is silver i will change it, can you confirm its silver? As for the engine its had a full service a couple of leaky gaskets changed but nothing else, compression is great and runs well, a typical Kohler, the main work done was on the rotten and pitted body, repaired the rear tub including new wing new side panels, new wiring loom, check my Hello thread and better than new tread, some picks on there, Tyres are from my quad bike 24/8.5-12 Innova Mud Gear
As mentioned in this thread, cheers jay and good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts