My Tractor Forum banner

How should Littletractorguy proceed from here? Should he...

• Take Bror TOTALLY apart and send him for powder coating, THEN reassemble?

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Reassemble Bror to working condition, THEN disassemble for powder-coating once everything works?

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Skip powder-coating and just put Bror together and give him back?

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Other suggestions? Post'em when you got 'em!

Votes: 3 7.9%
381 - 400 of 1705 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Re: Spending a week away...

Thanks man... Not too sure how I feel about the Vegas trip... I don't do well with HOT! And its 32 c there TONIGHT!

I might be hanging out in the hotel A LOT! :)
I go there alot. First, be sure to have a constant supply of water! And that's it. The heat is not like you think it is. Being in the desert, It's dry as dust there, and you don't really mind the heat because it kind of has no "weight" to it. I don't even know I'm sweating when I go out in the desert, so you will dehydrate REALLY fast. Just keep hittin the water bottle and you'll be fine. I forgot. Try to get to the Stratosphere! It's outside of the old vegas strip. You can have a drink there and see what vegas looks like at night. It's a solid mass of lights in a circle, and outside of that circle is absolute blackness for as far as you can see. If you have the guts, ride the coaster on top. :thSick:

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Hey Cue ball :biglaugh::sidelaugh..... You better take a hat...

Serious you mention your not good over 30 ish c.. Take long sleeve shirts that are loose fitting... The sun there will cook you in no time...

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts

Here's the new oil seals... Of course, I forgot to take careful note of which way they faced in the crankcase.... I'll have to post some more detailed pictures and get some feedback on that...
That's easy - the side with the garter spring faces inward.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·

That's easy - the side with the garter spring faces inward.
Aha! So there IS a springy thingy in those oil seals! :) I was popping the second one out and didn't QUITE get it out as cleanly as the first one (it was the one on the deep side of the crankcase, and I couldn't get the big rubber mallet in as well), and this "thing" flew out of it when it finally popped... Coulda sworn it was a spring, but then it fell somewhere on the floor and I couldn't find it again... Thanks Oo-v-oO! That's great! Once I'm back from the Vegas thing, I'll get on to popping those new ones in. I'm assuming they go in BEFORE I reassemble the crankcase...

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
It's easiest that way, yes.

I'd like to see some closeups of the seals if your camera has a macro mode. Curious who the manufacturer is - where I work we make seals like that.

·
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
Ah.... Venice!

So, thought I'd take a brief holiday from tractors and jetset off to historic Venice! Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure!

Well, ACTUALLY, I'm in Vegas, at a conference, staying at the Venetian Hotel... So called because of the historic modeling after ancient Venice, complete with a canal and gondolas... Wow, some crazy huh? This Vegas place is pretty wild... And I haven't even been able to find my way out of this one hotel yet to see the REST of Vegas (dunno if I have the energy... Too hot here, and my knees are killing me... Gonna have to venture out at SOME point tho, 'cause I don't like paying 4 bucks for a Coke or 6 bucks for a bag of chips here at the hotel..).... And I haven't seen a single John Deere since I got here! :( And no John Deere store in the shops at THIS hotel!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Have fun! The breakfast buffets are where it's at. Wait till dark if it's too hot in the sun, and go see the water cannons at the Belagio. Caesers Palaces is pretty cool too. Get a few guys together, and take the tram to old vegas, and go see the "space needle"

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
:ditto: If you can get to Freemont Street its a whole different style of Vegas. If you want the best cheap steak dinner in town go to Ellis Island off the strip behind Paris and Ballys. And the Bellagio fountains are definitely worth the trip. Best buffet (within reason) was at the Wynn and its still pricey but good for the memories. The Mexican place along the canal at Venetian was a regular stop for us too.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hey Andy, ever go see fat Elvis? hahahaha!! If he wasn't 600 pounds, I would swear he really WAS Elvis! :D MAN can that guy sing.....from his chair! We always stay at the Belagio when we go, and like you say, we seldom eat on the strip. You'll go broke! But if you just get off the strip a few streets, there's little sandwich shops and joints where the locals go to eat.

Almost forgot. It cost a small fortune, but if you want the meal of your life, Joe's seafood and steak has the most out of control bone in filet on this planet, and the lump crab cake is right there with it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Isnt the outfit thats on Pawn Stars located in that town ? might be worth a peek ,if you have the time .

·
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
Go to a gun range there and try a full auto .... IF thats your thing.....
Hmmmmm... Well....... LTGal DID say bring something back for her! :)

I have a friend who's in town for a conference later this week, we're going to hook up on Thursday night.... Maybe he and I can take in some of these places you guys are recommending... Thanks all!

·
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
The Carb has LEFT the building!

Well, while I sit here in Vegas not able to work on tractors and too hot and sweaty and tired to go anywhere, I thought I might as well check on the progress of the carb... And to my surprise, there HAS been some!

Not as much as I would have hoped... I mean, really, after nearly two weeks, I would have thought Mark at CarbRescue could have been starting on it already... But you can't rush postal strikes!

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Re: The Carb has LEFT the building!

Well, while I sit here in Vegas not able to work on tractors
OK, I'm starting to worry about you LTG. My family thinks I'm a bit obsessive about tractors with the six of them and all but even I can find some relief from green fever in Vegas... :drunkie:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well, it's taken me half the day to get through this thread start to finish, but wow, for a guy that has never torn an engine down you sure are doing a fantastic job!

·
-
1,833 Posts
Carb is all boxed up and ready for shipping down to Mark at CarbRescue... I know, I know, I'm wimping out, but two things...

1. That carb is pretty dang rare, so I don't want to #$%#$ it up
  2. I know my limitations, I'd rather have a professional do it right
  3. I'm not the one paying for it, in the long run (if my dad wants the machine back)
  4. If I really want to learn carb restoration, I can do that on my 110 with the Kohler, for which I'm sure there's more parts if I botch it...

Okay, so, four things... NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Here's some BEFORE pics of the carb:

I know I'm a little behind but that looks like the Walbro carb on my HH100. If you find you need parts in the future I got them from http://www.mowers4u.com/.

My carb looked just as bad. I gave it a bath and replaced most of the innards.

·
Registered
55 Posts
LTG I have your carb. It has been disassembled and the carb body is clean. Everything came apart just fine with the exception of the two choke plate screws. Also, You will need throttle shaft bushings and a new throttle shaft. The throttle shaft that was in it was not the proper one. It appears to be from a different carb and someone has blobbed solder on it. Had a heck of a time getting it out. I'll email some pics as soon as I get home from work. Unfortunately, three more carbs have shown up while yours was in transit....hopefully I can get yours done by the end of the weekend.

Mark

·
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Well, it's taken me half the day to get through this thread start to finish, but wow, for a guy that has never torn an engine down you sure are doing a fantastic job!
Thanks Chemteck! Long haul yet, so stay tuned!

·
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
LTG I have your carb. It has been disassembled and the carb body is clean. Everything came apart just fine with the exception of the two choke plate screws. Also, You will need throttle shaft bushings and a new throttle shaft. The throttle shaft that was in it was not the proper one. It appears to be from a different carb and someone has blobbed solder on it. Had a heck of a time getting it out. I'll email some pics as soon as I get home from work. Unfortunately, three more carbs have shown up while yours was in transit....hopefully I can get yours done by the end of the weekend.

Mark
Sounds good Mark! I'd suspect the work on the throttle shaft was done by by my grandfather, probably shortly before he passed away... He WAS a JD mechanic/dealer, but after he retired, his mind started to go... MOST of the tractor (underneath the coating of grime and grunge) HAS been well taken care of, but here and there I've found things that have just been so obviously wrong that I can't see them having been done by him in his right mind. THAT was another reason why I sent the carb out, because if something like that was done, I wouldn't know how to fix it...

·
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 · (Edited)
The Titanic Carburetor, so far...

For those of you just tuning in, you might not be familiar with......

this!!!​
(insert scary music chords here!)​

The Carburetor Raised From the Titanic (aka, the Walbro from my grandfather's '67 JD 112)...

Well, here's some update pics from Mark at CarbRescue... and I must say, I think I made the right decision to send it to him!

And here's some info from Mark about what he found...

" First, you may or may not be able to tell from the photo but the high speed needle is bent. Something probably hit it or it was dropped at some point..No problem, I make those. Upon looking it over I quickly noticed that the throttle shaft is not the one that belongs on it. Apparently the original was worn and there was wear in the bearing areas so…..someone got a throttle shaft from another carburetor that was larger in diameter and stepped up the carb to accommodate it. Works good in theory however the throttle plate no longer sits in the proper position relative to the idle passages. It was one of those shafts that have a slit cut in it. The plate goes in the slit and screws sandwich the plate in the shaft. The threads for one of the screws was stripped out so they decided to solder it in place. Had a heck of a time getting all that off so I could pull the shaft out. Anyway, I’ll set you up for a bushing job and a throttle shaft which I also make. Also a throttle shaft spring, which this one did not have. Other than that, all you are going to need are some gaskets and seals and you’ll be good to go. The only problem I may have is getting the throttle plate to sit in the right spot..hopefully the guy drilled a straight hole and didn’t move it any from where it should be. I think you will be happy with the way it cleaned up. "​

So, yes, really, I wouldn't have been able to do any of that...

And, the first shots of the cleanup so far!

I am VERY impressed! So far, pretty DANG good! 'Course, now I'll have to shine up the rest of the engine that much too! Maybe drop in some chrome!

381 - 400 of 1705 Posts