My Tractor Forum banner

How should Littletractorguy proceed from here? Should he...

• Take Bror TOTALLY apart and send him for powder coating, THEN reassemble?

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Reassemble Bror to working condition, THEN disassemble for powder-coating once everything works?

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Skip powder-coating and just put Bror together and give him back?

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Other suggestions? Post'em when you got 'em!

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 1696 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, for those of you that have not been following my saga, THIS has been living in the backyard of my parents' house....

This was my maternal grandfather's pride and joy, his 1967 JD 112h. It hasn't run for 20 years.... Well, this weekend, with the support of the incredibly amazing Littletractorgal, the assistance of my in-laws, the aid of Greensail (who helped me put the winch on a stable mount on my trailer) and the permission of my mother, (just to be on the safe side and to avoid police intervention), the 112h was disinterred from its resting place and slung onto my trailer... I'm sorry, I didn't take movies of it being winched on, it was amazing (kinda like that video of the T-34 tank being pulled outta the swamp in Russia). So, the FIRST stage (the recovery) is ALMOST over, the 112h is sitting on my trailer, connected to Littletractor using the Hitching Post Littletractorgal got me for my birthday last year... Getting to that point took from 11:00 yesterday until dark. Today, we hook the trailer back up to the truck, run it over to our place, then Littletractorgal and I and my FIL will drop it off the trailer and into it's predetermined spot in our garage...

(As long as we get this all done before my dad gets back from his weekend at the lake... AND I put ALL his tools back EXACTLY where I found them... Otherwise, there is a distinct possibility that this could be my last post on MTF:00000060:)

More pictures soon, I promise!

·
Deere Guru
506 Posts
Wow.

good luck with the restoration!

·
Registered
843 Posts
What no working overtime? I want to see results! Don't worry about your father "It was littletractorgal's idea! And she also used your tools!".

:Stop:

Good luck! Looks like a very nice rebuild. Can't wait to read "cleaned it, put in new gas and it fired right up...".

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Right after driving 1400 km for the 110 and now you finally snag the 112H. Always happens that way. Gonna have to start calling you littletractorSguy soon. Glad you saved it, I could hear it calling for help from here.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Cool story :fing32: What's the plan for it? Looks like you have two battery cores to put toward the resto LOL

·
new nut but loving it
1,595 Posts
Here is some inspiration for you... this one is for sale in central Ontario for $1200. But it is not Grandpa's :D

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,175 Posts
Why would your father be upset that you want to give a family heirloom a fighting second chance at life? Would he rather see it rot away under a tree covered in bird scat? That would be sad... Especially after I helped my buddy save two 110 hydros last year.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Good for you. That tractor deserves a second chance at life, and deserves to be sheltered in a garage once its done.

If it was his pride and joy, I think grandpa will be truly happy to get a chance to drive it/ride it once again. Once he sees the shiny green and yellow paint, and the purr of the engine....it will either bring a smile to his face, or a tear to his eye.

~F~

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Just " buff" out the paint, charge the battery (s) and a little sea foam in the tank and carb, and like your thread says DONE !! :sidelaugh
and :crybaby: to Herd when needed!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks to be in good shape just that perfect patina .
It even has a tiller on it. good luck and enjoy :thThumbsU

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
nice score! i wouldnt be surprised if it cleans up a little better than you expect.. doesnt look to far gone by any means. Having that with the 110 sure will be cool

·
Registered
729 Posts
and a tiller on the back too, sweet tractor hope it comes out nice and looking forward to some more pics. good luck

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, we got the 112h into the garage by about 10:30 this morning, then a whole bunch of putting stuff back the way it was at my parents' place, then some hangin' with the family time this afternoon, then I got down to doing a bit of wrenching on the 112... So the front tires still hold air (so far.... Not bad for 20 years old) but the rear tires are totally shot.... Looks like they were filled with calcium chloride at some point, and they've rotted right out... So the first order of business would be to pull the rims and get new booties put on... Problem is, the wheel weights... And I need some suggestions... Right hand side, they're put on with carriage bolts, heads on the inside of the rim... And of course, the square channel on the rim is rounded out so when you spin the nut, the whole bolt spins! Grumble grumble! Left-hand side, my grandfather had put 1 great honking bolt through the weight (3/4" by about 5 inches) and I got that one out (regular nut and bolt head), but for SOME reason he put the wheel weight on backwards (so the recesses for the nuts are on the INSIDE) then he put a 5/8" nut on the end of a carriage bolt, which then sucked into the hole on the weight... So there's only a couple of mills hanging out to try to grab onto... And the OTHER side is a **** carriage bolt head! #@#[email protected]#[email protected]! So I don't have a CLUE how I'm gonna get these off... Dremel the edges of the right-hand side carriage bolts until I can put a wrench on, I guess, but I'm totally screwed by the other one... I have no plasma cutter, nothing to mangle it with.... Oh well, it will be a long-term project I guess... and at least its in MY garage!

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Drill the #@&^!! bolt heads out. And OBTW

:wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp:

Don't make me call in the reinforcements...

:wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp:

·
new nut but loving it
1,595 Posts
If it were me a drill with different sized bits and take the head of the bolt right off... drill a pilot hole in the center of the head and work out to the size of the bolt... effectively making the head into a washer. I have done this before with a bolt the head was rounded, once the main part was off then used vise grips to hold and unbolt the rest.

One other note; if grandpa filled the rear wheels with calcium chloride, I would bet the rims are shot.

Good luck with the restoration... Grandpa Ernie will be smiling. :D

1 - 20 of 1696 Posts