My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, after learning a little more the couple years turned into more like 35...everything seems to be in place, the tires are shot of course and a bent rear rim...but the price is right. I need a tractor to use right now/for the fall though...me thinks this is a little more than I'm ready for right now...but it is a cool find....Farmall Cub, I couldn't find any plates to give me an idea as to the year(was prob covered in the trees growing):fing20:

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
If you want a project that would be a good one to restore.
:ditto: my cousin restored one of those last year. Tractor Supply Co has the paint for them and full decal kits too!! Good luck and :wwp:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still not 100% sure if I'm going to go grab it...hopefully my schedule will allow me some more free time to dig into something like this come wintertime, the hard part is going to be dragging this thing home on the trailer with the "old oak tree" in row ;)
All the metal appears to be surface rust only, doesn't look like any motor damage, , just the one rim is bent, and its screaming for about 3 weeks in a blast booth...
I need a mid-size tractor, this one may just take a little longer to get functional

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Those wheel weights are worth a couple dollars. My '49 sat outside at the PO's with no cover on the exhaust. Did a fair amount of damage to 2 cylinders. Is it freed up? Took me 2 days to get mine free. Good luck.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I know you need a working unit right away but if it's not much or free I wouldn't even be thinking about it grab it up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The exhaust had a flapper on it, which was still in place..and rusted shut..now if the motor is free or not we shall see...as long as I do some yard cleaning, I may be able to hide it for a while, gotta get a cheap camper sold right away and free up some space

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It still looks like it is in good shape. Farmall cubs are good little tractor and despite their small size they are real workhorses. There are tons of different attachments that you can find for them. From what I can see in the pictures it appears to be a 1947-54 cub. You can find the exact year of the cub with the number off of the serial tag. I circled it in the picture so you can see where it is located. If you would like to get more information about it go to the farmall cub forum on www.farmallcub.com. They will beable to tell you alot more about what to look for.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It still looks like it is in good shape. Farmall cubs are good little tractor and despite their small size they are real workhorses. There are tons of different attachments that you can find for them. From what I can see in the pictures it appears to be a 1947-54 cub. You can find the exact year of the cub with the number off of the serial tag. I circled it in the picture so you can see where it is located. If you would like to get more information about it go to the farmall cub forum on www.farmallcub.com. They will beable to tell you alot more about what to look for.
awesome..thanks, I'll look when I go back over that way, I didn't want to start ripping the vines and such loose and risk tearing anything up until I commit to it, but I will certainly get the info.
I need a mid-size tractor as a full size will not get into the areas I want to work without some serious tree removal, so this is the perfect size. I was impressed..all the sheetmetal seems to be straight and surface rust only, I think with minimal effort it would be up and running and a coat of paint to protect it. I need a worker, not a showpiece, but some new stickers and such would of course be in the cards!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Are you guys kidding? Or is my monitor that bad? I see only the vague outline of wheels and what could/maybe/possibly be a tractor and you guys know model/year from this. H-E-L-P.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you guys kidding? Or is my monitor that bad? I see only the vague outline of wheels and what could/maybe/possibly be a tractor and you guys know model/year from this. H-E-L-P.

Regards,

Dan
shhh...everyone is on a roll, and making me want this just a little more...and as it is right now...I can tell the wife it's a fancy planter....:fing32:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well can't tell you what year it is, but it does appear to be an early Cub, maybe 47 or 48. Hmmmm - It has Touch Control a plus, looks like a long ear dash. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Rear weights, no front weights. Tins look pretty good too.

Decals at TSC are not the best - generic and similar to what you get on eBay - you get what you pay. Like other stuff like carb rebuild kits etc., TSC is less than "Not Exactly"... If you were to restore to be correct then these are not the decals to get. If the "restore" would be just to make it look nice, then I guess it doesn't matter much.

I buy my stuff from pretty much 2 sources. I buy most of my new carb parts/electrical parts/decals at TM Tractor. Tom and Lynn are great to deal with and the decals are correct for the year. I no longer have a CaseIH dealer really nearby, so it is much quicker to have Tom and Lynn ship the parts to me. When our dealer was just down the road, they got all my business. Now I have to go farther afield so I pay attention to service/quality/reliability. Tom and Lynn are right up there.

The other guru I go to is Ken Updike at Carter & Grunewald. Ken is the author of two great books on Cubs and Cub Cadets, one of the Cub Triumvirate of Knowledge. Ken Updike, Jim Becker and Guy Fay -- real good sources for obscure info :) If you tell Ken what year you got, you will get the correct ones for your year. If you do not have a SN tag on that Cub should you get it, casting codes will do to date the Cub and get the right decals. C&G are also a CaseIH dealer and they are right up there with TM Tractor when it comes to service/quality/reliability. Top notch!

If there is a flapper on the exhaust, I would suspect the engine is free, and that aside form cosmetics this may not be a big deal to get running again. Cubs are pretty simple and very easy to repair/maintain. I am not a mechanic and I do all of mine... except for really complicated stuff like engine innards work, I leave that to the pros.

There is lots of information out there for Cubs. Getting this one running may not be much of a challenge at all, more like some fun.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
.... only the vague outline of wheels and what could/maybe/possibly be a tractor and you guys know model/year from this. H-E-L-P.
Regards,

Dan
yeah, pretty cool, huh?
Even a noob like me thinks it might be a Farmall Cub. I recognized the rounded hood, the distinctive height, and the steering wheel that stretches waaay back. I first saw a Cub only recently at a meet of many Farmalls. Cute as the proverbial button!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've gotta ask, how the heck did you see that jewel running down the highway at 70MPH or, were you just crawling through the brush and bump your head on it? Nice find. I'll try that line about it being a planter. So far she's bought the other stories I've told her........................I think.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
I agree... Can you drag that poor girl home for under $250?, grab it and buy a gallon of PB blaster and a garden sprayer. Around here, a decent runner will only pull about 2k, maybe $2500-$3000 restored Just hose her down and let it sit (pull the plugs and fill her up in there too) Go back every now and then and spray it down again until you are ready to start tearing it down. At that time, hose it good with some engine cleaner and pressure wash her down. Worst case, those weights should recoup.

Sandblast the tin and either a skim coat of putty or heavy primer will smooth out any pitting, the cast iron will look like new once blasted and painted. Take plenty of photos before you touch a branch... Those are the crown shots of a re-build, the shock factor!

Good luck, those were fun little tractors! :trink39:

BTW, even if you just get her up and running.... there are a LOT of farm tractors in New England that look just like that and see daily work! You can just brush paint the tractor if you are going to work her hard.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Don't tell me where in VA it is because I might go down and make an offer on it!!! :trink40: How much are they asking and how much are you looking to spend? I'd take advantage of the fact that it's literally sitting in the weeds, might be a good haggle point. Cash money on sight talks to.

If I were to buy something like this, I'd at least grab a pair of clippers to get a better look at it before doing anything.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I guess "mid-size" means something different to everyone. I had an early 50s Cub with a 5' mid mount mower on it. I think it was rated around 15 HP. It was no power house - especially for its size. It WAS a lot of fun, though, and it mowed thru most of what I needed to mow.

I gave it to my brother because I had made the mistake of building a little trailer for it and pretty soon I was loaning it to relatives. It would come back low on oil, flat tires and barb wire wrapped tight around the mower blade or they would try to pull idiotically heavy loads with it. It was "too handy" and I got tired of seeing it abused.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well...I tried, upon further thinking, he decided he wanted to "hang onto it" as he bought it for the intention of restoring it...although he bought it 36yrs ago and it hasn't moved since. Although it has been turned over regularly apparently. His response to me was"I'll want more than you're going to pay" and that was that...my father knows him pretty well and just shook his head at that point. laying on the ground beside it was another set of wheels/tires/wheel weights, as well as another front end...

I guess my search continues.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
well...I tried, upon further thinking, he decided he wanted to "hang onto it" as he bought it for the intention of restoring it...although he bought it 36yrs ago and it hasn't moved since. Although it has been turned over regularly apparently. His response to me was"I'll want more than you're going to pay" and that was that...my father knows him pretty well and just shook his head at that point. laying on the ground beside it was another set of wheels/tires/wheel weights, as well as another front end...

I guess my search continues.
That sucks!! It's a real shame seeing machines like that sitting in the brush, rusting-decaying, basically doing nothing but fading away. I'll bet that thing hasn't ran in years.

You never know, he could be one of those sellers that just needs to sit on it for awhile. Where in VA are you? I'll keep an eye out for you :fing32:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm near charlottesville, feel free to lemme know if you do run across any cheap projects, better yet functional(and cheap)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts