My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back on July 24 we came home to this:

The ironic thing is that this must have been a miroburst because ours was the only place within 5 miles that got any damage. we called a pro for one tree- an 80ft catalpa that was broken about 10 feet up and leaning on another tree. With the help of friends and family we took down 5 more that were severely or fatally damaged, including an 80ft tall locust. So after six trees and alot of brush with two weeks of clearing damage the end is in sight.

........I hope the pics posted

·
16,804 Posts
Now just get the stumps grinded down, and clean that up with a little top soil--and refill /level in three mon ths--it will really get going!!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Sorry about that damage, but you sure did a fine job on the clean-up.

And you should be good for firewood now. Catalpa pops a fair bit, but its burnable especially when mixed in with some harder woods. And locust is nice too, in that it will burn even when green. Growing up we cut, hauled, and split a fair bit of wood and we were always happy to have the locust along with the maple and oak. Just watch for those thorns!

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts
Wow, that looks like a lot of work. Congrats on your efforts.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thumbs up. It's been a fair bit of work. My body keeps reminding me of that. The catalpa went to the arborist who took it down- saved me about 400 bucks. I watched him tke it down. Good thing I called him as that was a troublesome takedown. He made 4 LOADED trips out in his F350 with that tree, plus the brush. A maple, what we call a chunk cherry, and half of the locust went to friends who helped out. The rest stayed here yielding me about 2 cords. I estimate the total yield at about 7 cord of wood.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,570 Posts
Cutting/splitting wood is hard work, and you had quite a lot to cut. Nice job! :thThumbsU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts