My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this morning I finally got the parts I needed to finish the 990. I needed to replace the fuel shut off valve because it was leaking. The tractor still needs a few more hours worth of work to do to get it running but this is the closest its been in 3 years. I have to get a battery, and finish the wiring and tune the carb. After that it will be done. I will get pictures tonight.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
happy to hear! i think yours blew shortly before i bought my 990. good luck man!
Thanks Benn. I think it took me long enough to get it going again. I think it blew in April or May of 2010. I would of had it running sooner but I just could not find a shop to do the needed engine work. It took me a year and a half to find the right engine that ran. If it wasn't for MTF member GrierNC the 990 would not be running. He sold me a running engine so I could finish this project.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't wait to see a YouTube of it running Matt!
I might be able to get Jon to bring the camera Saturday if we don't spend to much time in the junk yard. If I can't get the stack off of engine number 1 every one is going to have to wait on the video. The muffler I got with the good engine touches the hood, so I have to run the stack instead.

·
Premium Member
10,304 Posts
Good luck! :wwp:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck! :wwp:
I will get pictures tomorrow. Right now its to dark and I really don't want to push two non running tractors out of the way right now. I might have a video of it running in a few days if I can get the stack off of the old engine. If not you will see a hood less 990.:thSick:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the much awaited pictures. Sorry about the wait everyone. I have been busy getting ready for college.

The long awaited engine. This engine came out of a Sears SS/14 or SS/15. There were no numbers on the engine so I am not sure on the year.

The muffler in the above picture I can not use with the hood. Its a shame because its a nice stainless steel muffler. I tried to remove the old stack off of the first engine and it just will not budge. When I go to get this thing running tomorrow I will remove the hood.:crybaby:

Any how I will be getting better pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

The muffler in the above picture I can not use with the hood. Its a shame because its a nice stainless steel muffler. I tried to remove the old stack off of the first engine and it just will not budge. When I go to get this thing running tomorrow I will remove the hood.:crybaby:

Any how I will be getting better pictures tomorrow.

Can't you just use a longer pipe nipple to space the muffler out a bit further?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't you just use a longer pipe nipple to space the muffler out a bit further?
I have tried to pull the muffler apart to attach a longer nipple but the pipe has rust welded itself together. I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get a different muffler. For the time being I will just have to remove the hood.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nice looking tractor.

Try soaking the threaded area with WD40 several times over a period of days. I have found the usually works, you just need to take your time and plan your work ahead of time.

The only time I recall this did not work for me was on an old Jeep Wrangler I bought for my son. I replaced the front and rear leaf springs and the bolts going through the rubber bushings needed to be heated up with a torch in addition to the process I mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice looking tractor.

Try soaking the threaded area with WD40 several times over a period of days. I have found the usually works, you just need to take your time and plan your work ahead of time.

The only time I recall this did not work for me was on an old Jeep Wrangler I bought for my son. I replaced the front and rear leaf springs and the bolts going through the rubber bushings needed to be heated up with a torch in addition to the process I mentioned above.
Right now I am on my third day of soaking with PB Blaster. I need to try the torch next.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
This might be the perfect opportunity to try the candle wax deal I'm always reading about. Heat up the joint enough to keep the wax liquified and drip candle wax on it. The wax is supposed to wick into threads better than penetrating oils.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This might be the perfect opportunity to try the candle wax deal I'm always reading about. Heat up the joint enough to keep the wax liquified and drip candle wax on it. The wax is supposed to wick into threads better than penetrating oils.
Candle wax, I have to try that. I hope it works because I really want to use that stack.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I tried to get it running today and its not getting any fuel. This engine has a Sears specific fuel pump. The 990's never came with a fuel pump. I believe that the pump is not pumping. I will be rebuilding it some time tonight.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
i bought pretty much the identical engine for my allis b-10 about a year ago. mine also came off a sears (ss/15? or something, same color as your engine anyway.) isnt the sears pump an external jobby? couldnt you just do away with it all together?

oh btw, did your engine still have the cast iron pulleys on the crankshaft? mine were an absolute PITA to get off!! had to use a grinder and a sawzall VERY carefully without nicking the crank!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i bought pretty much the identical engine for my allis b-10 about a year ago. mine also came off a sears (ss/15? or something, same color as your engine anyway.) isnt the sears pump an external jobby? couldnt you just do away with it all together?

oh btw, did your engine still have the cast iron pulleys on the crankshaft? mine were an absolute PITA to get off!! had to use a grinder and a sawzall VERY carefully without nicking the crank!
I got the pulley off with a puller. It wasn't to bad. I could do away with the pump but I want to see if it will get rid of the half tank vapor lock. It is an external pump but its not my problem. The carb is the problem again. Its flooding and the oil is shot again on it. I now have gas in the oil so I am dead in the water till I get that fixed.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, its about time you got it going! Looking forward to seeing it in action.
Its its going to be soon when it will be running. I might take it to Jays in April.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.