My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Skid Steer Enthusiast
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, Last Sunday I got a free craftsman lawn tractor from a friend. It runs and drives great. However the steering is bad. The steering gears will grip when you turn the wheel to the left but excessive play will not allow it to turn right to straighten out the wheel. I have been messing with it for a couple evenings and have yet to get it fixed and working again. The plastic pivot at the bottom was worn out so I found a small metal "sleeve" and slid it into the plastic pivot and it tightened up the steering rod a little bit. I also put some electrical tape around the end of the steering rod to tighten it up a little more to reduce the play. The gears still wouldn't grip enough so i cut a little off the top of the plastic pivot and put it above the smaller gear so it would move down and the teeth without wear would contact the larger gear. Thought it was gonna work but I just hooked it back up and nothing has changed. Still will not steer to the right. I am curious if I should get two new gears and a new plastic pivot but I don't know if it will fix the problem or not. I also don't know what model this tractor is, would like an idea so i can add it to my signature. :fing32: Thanks again guys! :fing32:

Attachments

·
Skid Steer Enthusiast
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/98120019.pdf

hope that helps some

looks like a LT2000

when you take the gears out will the wheels turn by hand to the left and right, because something may be bent or locked up on the spindles
Thanks for the link, that is very much appreciated. I took the steering system out and it does move by hand, the rod that connects the two front tires to the steering system was bent up so I straightened it up and it made very little difference. After trying to jimmy rig the gears to work several times i am at the point where I am gonna make an entirely different system with the steering gears out of my Simplicity 5008 parts tractor. I will keep y'all updated when i begin the re-engineering.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
The steering gear those tractor's use is known for skipping/ worn gears and eventually no right turns when they get bad enough.. I have a '98 16hp/42" which is an early model ( with the new design hood and fenders ) LT1000. did the exact same thing, and the gears have skipped on occasion for a while. now has no right turn, but will left because the steering gears bind back up turning left but unload going right.. For mine, I have the full replacement steering gear which is $100 thru SPD, yet to put it in tho. it is only 8 bolts IIRC to swap

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
That tractor was made for NASCAR. Left turn only.:sidelaugh

·
Skid Steer Enthusiast
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Skid Steer Enthusiast
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, i ended up buying new gears from Craftsman. Changed the oil, sharpened the blades, cleaned the deck, replaced one of the spindle brakes, and it is ready to go. Fired right up, drives, mows, turns right. :fing32:

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,273 Posts
Sweet! Glad to hear it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts