My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dont how to start off here. As a Lawn boy "collector" and user, I'm always looking for my next project. I first started with D409 mowers, then quickly fell in love with the D408 mag series's lines and and the last forever aluminum mufflers and alloy carbs. Then transitioned to early brick tops. But I always had an eye for pre complience F commercial mowers. I loved the clean no cables or bails look and ofcouse the square one gallon orange fuel tank. So naturally I started collecting them and appreciating them. As well as researching other older commercial D and C engines. The other day on Kijiji(Canadian Craig list) a dirty brick top commercial appeared about a 2hr drive from me. At first site I thought is was a 6251 becuse it had 8" wheels all around, super rare ofcourse and definitely a dream to have. But when I look closer I could make out the red stripes and was beside my self. It was a 6250. Incredible, even more rarer and the first Lawn Boy Commercial. I never thought any were around in Canada in any condition. This was a machine I must try to buy. So back and forth with the seller we agreed on a price. His asking price was ridiculously low. I told him what the mower was and a rough guess on the value. I gave 2 1/2 times his asking price as a good gesture. It came with a John Deere monster of a trimmer 85G. Here's some before and after cleaning pic. He said it hadn't been used in 20 years and stored indoors. It has spark and good compression just need to clean the fuel to get it to run. You can tell it was not used comercially.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice score! I'd love to get my hands on a bricktop, but I'm running out of space...

And that's an interesting JD weedeater. Haven't seen too many of those, let alone that old.

·
5,762 Posts
That Lawnboy is an amazing find. There can't be too many of those even in existence anymore. Will you do a complete restore on it as Bald Guy did or just keep it running and use it just because you can on occasion? Bill

·
6,450 Posts
YOu may find this old post of interest

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Wow,that is a nice one.Interesting recoil with the 2 rope outlets. Yeah,I think I would keep it as is for now too.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,050 Posts
Holy Cow! That is an awesome find! I don't think I have ever seen one with the shroud and decals is such good shape. That one would should probably be left alone, or just a mechanical restore, it just looks too good. I think Bill is right, there are probably only a few of those in existence. Thanks for sharing. I suspect the deck has been repainted before, but that doesn't detract from it's value in my opinion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just started to go through the mower. Removed the engine, wneel hieght adjusters, handle bar brackets and name plate to wash and wax the deck. The plan was not to tear down the engine but when I removed the muffler. It had some mouse poop and dead bugs debris in it and some had made its way into the combustion chamber. So might as well. Looks goods, normal wear and carbon build up on the piston. Rings not stock. Just going to clean up the internals, decarbon the piston and deglaze the cylinder walls. Replace all seals and gaskets too. The judd has some damage to the cooling fins. I have a spare judd in better shape with the same part number. Can I swap it out, cant find a production date stamp on the casting, or should I keep it original.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts