My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious.

Why do people get mad that I part out tractors?

I decide to do something to help people who like and/or collect garden tractors because I like them also, contrary to what many believe, and then, people start calling me names, telling me me how this tractor or that tractor shouldn't be parted, etc.

Does anyone on here even know that I was the first one to have a website completely dedicated to lawn and garden tractors on the internet. I created it in 1995 and it was pretty popular. It had pictures and info about all the major brands of garden tractors, including serial numbers, engine specs, etc, it had over 3000 pages of information. Its long gone but is there anyone here who remembers that? There were no other sites. Panmar should remember, he still uses some of the pictures I made for it on his site now. Many people did not know Oliver made a garden tractor until I created a page about them with pictures of one I used to have (no it was not parted out).

Anyway, if people are not supposed to part out garden tractors, please tell me, who is going to buy and store all these tractors? How about fix them, and if some need parts, where are you going to get parts? You can't cannibilze one because that's the same thing as parting one out and buying new parts is just too expensive or impossible for some parts.

OK, so I get the argument that some tractors I part are too nice to part out. Maybe on some, but not many. Just because a tractor looks nice, really doesn't mean that it is. They all end up here for one reason or another, and it usually isn't because someone has a bill to pay. Then there are a few I tried to sell whole, but no one wanted to pay what they were worth. A good example was the Monster CASE I had. It was nice and I was tempted to keep it, but it was not something I would keep. It was nice and fun, but it was not original and the paint job wasn't that good. So I tried to sell it with everything I got with it for 3500.00. I paid close to that to get it, and the best offer I got, was 2000.00. Not even close to what I paid. Then there was the CASE LBH. I paid 4500.00 for it and tried to sell it for 5000.00. No one wanted it for that, so I parted it out also.

On that note, if you are fixing up a tractor, wouldn't you rather have good parts? You already need the part, why buy one that's as bad as what you already have, you can just fix the one you have. I used to fix cars a long time ago and I would search high and low for the right part. It had to be nice, clean, good, and in need of no work (unless it was painting or an extremely hard to find part) and I would normally pay more to get the one good part rather then buying five bad parts to make one good part, which normally ended up costing more anyway.

And then we have the nice looking tractors that I have parted, you know, the "restored" ones. What a joke. A restored tractor is not painted with a spray can, nor are incorrect colors used, and if something is broken, coat hangers or duct tape should not be used to "fix" it. As I said earlier, not all tractors are what they appear to be. I know, I part them and see what people do to fix this or that or to finish a "restore" job. If someone actually brought me a real restored tractor, it would not be parted.

Then there are the ever famous words "its rebuilt" ... that's funny. I hear this one all the time and when I take the engine apart (after running it to see if it was actually rebuilt), I find a .003 or .010 oversize piston with edge wear so bad it was either run for hours on end without an air cleaner or it was rebuilt, maybe 3, 6, 10 years ago, but not recently.

Finally, if you are really mad about it, that's fine, but please be an adult about it. If you are going to send nasty emails from a bogus email account, at least let me know who you are ...oh wait, you can't do that, because then I just might not sell to you.

Or better yet, post your comments here so everyone can see who you are - and include your eBay name.

BTW, there are only two tractors I ever regret parting out. One was a Cub Cadet 102 with all (and I mean all) the goodies and the other was a John Deere 318, the seller told me it had less than 100 hours on it, I didn't believe him and parted it out, and when I get so far into (past the point of no return) there was no oil anywhere. Not under the engine, not on the transaxle, no where. I sure wish I had believed him, but he wasn't a believable guy.

Not mad or ranting, or lookign for sympathy I just would like the few people who emailed me from here to step forward and stop hiding. I am tired of the games.

--
Grace & Peace
Lv. 25:14
- Joe

·
22,353 Posts
Joe, I understand your viewpoint. Personally, I don't like the idea of parting out a serviceable tractor, but by the same token, where would I find the parts to keep mine operational at a reasonable cost if it wasn't for folks like yourself. Unfortunately, too many serviceable tractors end up in the furnaces and then the useable parts are lost forever.

I wish that I had known about your operation 20 years ago when I was in the area several times a year. At some point I'd like to drop in and say "Hi" and thank you in person for the items that I've bought from you and to see what else you have available.

Keep up the good work!

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Well a lot of tractors went to the dump without beaning parted out at all. Yes some should not be parted out. I have a John Deere 116 that I have for sale, but if it does not sell it gets parted out. And how many guys would be with out parts, if someone did not part them out. That life. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Joe, you and TUDOR are exactly right.

If it cannot be fixed with minimal effort, it becomes a matter of cost. If its too pricey to fix, then why not make LOTS of other people happy with the parts? Its really not that much difference than becoming an organ donor. You save many with the sacrifice of one.

One day that same person will come around. I compare people like that to my friend and his wife. She is a vegetarian and member of PETA. To her all animals are sacred. To HIM, he is an avid hunter. One day after preaching to us about the little animals right to live anywhere they feel like, she took the trash out. When she removed the trashcan lid a raccoon jumped out and scared her. The first words out of her mouth was "Kill it!!!! KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess what I am trying to say is people dont mind giving advice about something but when they are in NEED of something, the rules change and they lament that there is no one that can give or supply them with it.

Keep it up Joe! There are more out there that have respect than haters. One day, the ones who squeek now will be the very ones calling you for parts.

·
Super Moderator
31,985 Posts
Well a lot of tractors went to the dump without beaning parted out at all. Yes some should not be parted out. I have a John Deere 116 that I have for sale, but if it does not sell it gets parted out. And how many guys would be with out parts, if someone did not part them out. That life. :thThumbsU
Thats my feeling. How many of these tractors, in frankly nice shape, have people found in sctap yards and saved right before getting crushed?then think that those saved, and probably tops... 1% of the tractors scrapped... As a guy that has bought used parts to keep things going... Im glad that there are some getting parted out. Ive parted out a few myself, and got some of the same flack... but when they tell you not to part it... they expect you to sell it whole to them for cheap...

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
And how many times have you heard a guy say, No it is not for sale, someday I am going to restore it. And you look around at all the crap he has laying around his place and all you see is junk. And you know the day will never come. :banghead3

·
Registered
638 Posts
Recycle is the key word.Parts are bringing dead tractors back to life.I do not believe most people would pay dealer prices for parts to fix these older tractors.

I had one guy compare me to a drug dealer and he is even a good friend of mine.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe, I understand your viewpoint. Personally, I don't like the idea of parting out a serviceable tractor, but by the same token, where would I find the parts to keep mine operational at a reasonable cost if it wasn't for folks like yourself. Unfortunately, too many serviceable tractors end up in the furnaces and then the useable parts are lost forever.

I wish that I had known about your operation 20 years ago when I was in the area several times a year. At some point I'd like to drop in and say "Hi" and thank you in person for the items that I've bought from you and to see what else you have available.

Keep up the good work!
Feel free to stop in any time during the week. I need to know ahead of time if its a weekend.

For our address, use:

www.mapquest.com with this address:

6885 Sanilac Road
Marlette, MI

Do not use Kingston, or a zip code or you will get lost.

Our hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 to 5:30 EST.

Our phone # is: 989.635.3648

- Joe

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The local junk years hold them for us. It took about 10 years for me to convince them that I would pay them more than what they would get crushing them. Before I convinced them, there were many nice ones (and crappy ones to) that hit the crusher. They even crushed the attachments.

I was able to pick-up a John Deere F911 yesterday. Rough, but a lot of good parts on it. It even has a dozer blade.

- Joe

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe, you and TUDOR are exactly right.

If it cannot be fixed with minimal effort, it becomes a matter of cost. If its too pricey to fix, then why not make LOTS of other people happy with the parts? Its really not that much difference than becoming an organ donor. You save many with the sacrifice of one.

One day that same person will come around. I compare people like that to my friend and his wife. She is a vegetarian and member of PETA. To her all animals are sacred. To HIM, he is an avid hunter. One day after preaching to us about the little animals right to live anywhere they feel like, she took the trash out. When she removed the trashcan lid a raccoon jumped out and scared her. The first words out of her mouth was "Kill it!!!! KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess what I am trying to say is people dont mind giving advice about something but when they are in NEED of something, the rules change and they lament that there is no one that can give or supply them with it.

Keep it up Joe! There are more out there that have respect than haters. One day, the ones who squeek now will be the very ones calling you for parts.
Good points. Cost and need. It amazes me that I (or other people) are expected to keep every single tractor. What about dealerships? I know several that will sell a part off a junk tractor and many that will refuse to take some tractors in on trade just because of thier condition. What happens to those?

There is one guy sends me a Christmas card every year telling me thanks for ruining a part of American history and destroying America as we know it, and that its my fault America is in the position it is in. I get one every year from him. No name and no address. (I assume he is from here because one of the emails was written like the the Christmas card - I also assume he buys from me, hence no name or address).

- Joe

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And how many times have you heard a guy say, No it is not for sale, someday I am going to restore it. And you look around at all the crap he has laying around his place and all you see is junk. And you know the day will never come. :banghead3
True, I forgot to mention that one. Or how about the "collector" with 30 tractors, his barn is full, the back yard is full, and only a handful run, the others sit and rot.

I know one guy who has about 30 to 40 Cub Cadets. He can't use his garage or his barn. There are weeds all around a large lot of them in the field, and some are sunk in the ground over 4". His good tractors sit outside now and occassionally he sells me one when he needs room for another one he has bought. The ones he sells me have parts missing, don't run, and pretty much junk. Yet he still says what i do is wrong. It doesn't make sense to me. But to each thier own. I could really care less what he does with them. They are his, if he wants them to sit, so be it.

Don't get me wrong. I know a lot of other collectors who take great care of thier tractors and do a really nice job fixing them up. I still have yet to see a true restore that is comparable to factory though, at least around here. The John Deere Patios that were on Weekend Freedom Machine were some awsome restore jobs.

- Joe

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recycle is the key word.Parts are bringing dead tractors back to life.I do not believe most people would pay dealer prices for parts to fix these older tractors.

I had one guy compare me to a drug dealer and he is even a good friend of mine.
Thats funny. I get compared to a drug dealer often to. My response to that is "So you must know what it feels like to be a junkie?" or something similar - comparing them to a drug addict.

Anyone know of a good 12 step program for garden tractor junkies? LOL :)

- Joe

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Joe . Why even worry about it . As for the people that give you greif about parting tractors I would simply ask them if they want to buy them and if they say no then it's none of their business what you do with them . Most people that like & appreciate older machinery simply don't have either the time and/or money from a practical standpoint to just keep them all for the sake of just keeping them . JMO .

Mike

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You think he buys from you, but sends you cards like that??????
Im sorry, but I would have to say this person has issues.

To draw another analogy, thats the same as someone berrating saying you are part of the economies problems because you make too much money.......then on your way out of the building they beg change from you because they dont have any and know you do. (I have had that happen).

Put you down for what you do and then support it by buying parts? Thats insane.
I guess you could at least narrow it down where it was coming from by the cancellation mark? If they are legible.

One last thought on the line ".....thanks for ruining a part of American history and destroying America as we know it, and that its my (your) fault America is in the position it is in."

Yeah...dont buy recycled and used american parts to keep the economy going. By all means, buy chinese new and buy your new parts from them. That'll show them and turn the country around.............NOT!!

:sorry1: but this gets me a little hot under the collar. I can imagine how YOU feel, and I dont even part out things...yet.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Joe,

I think the parting out of tractors you do is a fine service. With all the half dead machines you part out the good stuff and sell to other folks , (and some real nice whole machines too too ), that the folks that care to keep something older running have a great resource .

Ever see the guy's place down Indiana/IL way with all the parts Deere's ? Whew, would some people get their undies in a bunch over that.

Not all of us have the time, the energy or resources to have a few parts machines laying around . It is your service that provides that for us and I say thanks .

Too bad someone is afraid to tell you up front that they disagree with your business of parting out of machines. I lamented that LBH part out myself but hey, I didn't have the 5 grand to buy it from you at the time. I disagreed with it internally, but I don't think I sent any Christmas cards about it... but then again, the internet can make real warriors out of people who hide behind some anonymous email and computer screen.

There are plenty of people that can have an honest , disillusioned argument about what is good or bad about parting out a machine and the goofball who chooses to berate you about it is just a real tool.

Marlboro

Just for laughs .....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Joe,
Haters are gonna hate. Doesn't matter what you do. Some people just hate what you do because you are successful. Let em hate, while you are driving to the bank. You cant make everyone happy, but you make alot of us happy with the parts and info you provide.

As for the anonymous people out there bashing you, they are anonymous for a reason. They dont have what it takes (ba***) to sign their name and claim its them. No real conviction in what they say when its anonymous.

Keep the parts coming. We need them.

(I will get back to you on the WH belt tensioner, gotta check tractor funds and prioritize spending :D)

Thanks

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
Seriously? A guy sends you hate Christmas cards? Geepers! I just don't know what to say to that. What you do is a wonderful thing for those of us looking for decent parts that are NLA new from the dealer. Yeah it would be nice in a perfect world to save 'em all from destruction, but the reality is the broken down ones should be used to keep the decent ones running. Keep up the good work!:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seriously? A guy sends you hate Christmas cards? Geepers! I just don't know what to say to that. What you do is a wonderful thing for those of us looking for decent parts that are NLA new from the dealer. Yeah it would be nice in a perfect world to save 'em all from destruction, but the reality is the broken down ones should be used to keep the decent ones running. Keep up the good work!:thThumbsU:thThumbsU
Yes, its true. I have one framed, if I can locate it Ill take a picture and post it. My wife may have tossed it though, so I am not sure if I can find it.

- Joe

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Joe,
Haters are gonna hate. Doesn't matter what you do.
Yup! And if you spend any time thinking about it, your going to make yourself sick, and the haters won't even know or care.

After taking an early retirement, I went to work in a restaurant/bakery for a while. Some people treat you like dirt. It's just part of working in a service job.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Well I would try to find out who it is so you could send him a note telling him to put money in the card so you can buy more tractors to part out.:thThumbsU

Now this has got me thinking. I think I am going to start a garden tractor chop shop. We would even part out NEW tractors. Just how many Xmas cards would I get over that.:sidelaugh

1 - 20 of 49 Posts