My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rust never sleeps. I discovered over the weekend that my 7 year old, completely garage kept GX335 with only 225 hours on it has some corrosion issues on the floor pan where the rubber guard meets the inside of the floor pan. I wasn't sure how much I cared for some of the new machines that are doing floor pans in composite but I'm warming up to it now. Oh well maybe have to deal with at some point later if it rusts through.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
H*** S*** Bill, the same thing happened to me this past week! Mine's always garaged and has 604 hrs. on it but why should the right side running board have rust too? AND, it's not in a spot where my boots rub or anything else ever hit it.

I wash out my deck with water sometimes and sometimes I'm guilty of mowing wet... NO DECK RUST above or below. When I was easing myself down onto the floor to change the hydraulic filter my eyes fell on that awful blight spot... I believe there was some "Unavoidable Prep Disaster" back at JD's factory, yeah, that's it.

At least they make the mats easy to take off to fix the rust! Glad I invested in some JD green and yellow spray paint a while back! (IF it's still good!):D

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Any place moisture can get into will hide and rust. The up side is you've found it early enough to fix before it turns into a major problem. slkpk

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
I dont think there is anything you can do to a tractor to stop rust forever. Moisture and the nitrogens from the grass and it is going to happen.

There are products (Marhyde for one) that turns rust into a paintable primer. I have used it on rust and just leave it. It looks like lotion and you wipe it on and the rust turns black. At least it doesnt spread from there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harold-yes, mine is also on the right side if I failed to mention. During season one and maybe even 2, I used to wash it frequently(and blow dry with the ole Stihl BG-85) but now only maybe twice a season due to someone on this or another forum stating not good for deck pully's. That is an area where dirt collects and if it does get wet, it will stay that way.

600 plus hours on yours Harold? Heck, you deserve an X748/7iron!

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
I'd take steel to any of the plastic types anyday. ask any of the guys with the broken plastic on their 425/445/455 it's a lot easyer and less expensive to hammer out, fill and paint steel then deal with broken plastic panels JMHO!

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
I took my 322 deck off and took it to an autobody company along with a quart of JD Green and it came back looking like new.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
That fender deck "coloring" is the new modern "powder coating", right?

(And, YES I do deserve a new "Ultimate X Series Tractor"... but I was holding out for the "Tiger Wood Signature Putter Deck".... guess that one's down the crapper now all right...:D)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts