My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Y'all;
I was pulling a drag type 10 foot disc behind my J.D. Model 50 several days ago on hard packed soil (just rolling along on the headland, not digging in), when my "50" just stopped cold. There were no unusual noises, no vibrations, no lurching, no nothing. It was like it just simply and smoothly jumped out of gear. In fact, that's what I thought had happened because the motor was still running perfectly.
BUT, when I went to put it back into gear, the shift lever was stuck in 3rd and it appeared to have raised up in the quadrant about 3/4 of an inch to an inch. Moving the clutch lever (in & out) didn't have any effect.
Then the resident idiot (not me, but an over educated can't come in out of the rain type) claimed to have yanked hard on the shift lever and got it free.:Disgus:
I didn't see him do it and the lever does now move to every gear but it still won't engage in a gear, nor does it feel like it's moving the fork rails.
What are your thoughts on this?
BTW. I'd sell the thing for the price of the nearly new tires and tubes on the rear of the thing.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It's been many yrs since I thought about the operation of the trans on a 2 cyl JD tractor but I'll bet the trans slipped out of "overdrive". One will need to raise gearshift quadrant up & perform an inspection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts