My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is January but I thought I would let my self think spring and the fun things I do with my best friend of 9 years. For almost all of those 9 years he loved to be with me out mowing our property. Noticed last year he is beginning to slow down. Had to mow a little slower so he could keep up. Worried if he will be able to continue with me. I can't image the thought of me being on my John Deere toy with him not following right behind.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I know exactly what you mean my 3 year old lab cross is the same way. If she is not following me at every step (or turn) she is watching me so that she doesn't miss anything. Not sure why though, she doesn't like the snow thrower and will run to the house, but will stand at the window waiting for me to get done and let her back outside. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I know it is January but I thought I would let my self think spring and the fun things I do with my best friend of 9 years. For almost all of those 9 years he loved to be with me out mowing our property. Noticed last year he is beginning to slow down. Had to mow a little slower so he could keep up. Worried if he will be able to continue with me. I can't image the thought of me being on my John Deere toy with him not following right behind.
I had a best friend like that when I was younger. She sat between my legs on my Dad's '49 JD"A" when I drove it around and was in the loader bucket on Dad's Ferguson or in a trailer behind a tractor, or she just walked with me when I walked through the pasture field to the woods. I believe she lost her life during the night with an assumed woodchuck. Sure missed that friend.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Jack here is going on 13 years old,, He still follows me in the back field when I am out mowing or working.. He's my ranch hand.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Australian collie Dog breed

d

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a Golden Retriever/Collie cross. Miss him.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My German Shepherds will follow the tractor, but only when it is not mowing. They know when the blades are engaged, and will move at least a hundred feet away. I have rocks here and there, and they know they could get injured or worse. Last August, the mower threw a rock straight into the rear window of my Honda, parked in the garage. Goodbye window. Smart dogs.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate German shepherd dog Canidae

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
They know when the blades are engaged ... Smart dogs. View attachment 194981
Well, they are smart for sure, but I bet they are reacting more to the noise of the machine when you engage the blades vs. knowing when the blades are engaged and what can happen to them from a rock missile. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have a Chihuahua buddy that is my shadow and he thinks he's a Rottweiller. He thinks that whatever I'm sitting on is what he's supposed to be sitting on too, whether it be tractor or truck seat. I think only Americans think of dogs as a close family member, and we're better off for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.