My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I want to make a 4x6 tractor. I would make a separate frame that would connect to my tractor frame. I would run the pulleys off of the transaxle right to the 2 axles. i found the pulleys, metal pillow block bearings and nuts/bolts. i have all the tires. is it possible to do this or??? I have a rough idea on how I would build it. here are 2 pics to TRY to show you what i mean.

that is the behind view of how it would look like

this is the side view of how it would look like

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Are you going to use chains or just belts ? Chains I think would work better, but you would need to do things a bit different in the drive. But it is do-able;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
i like the idea!but if i were you, i would steer away from a hydrostatic..that would put quite a bit of strain on it if you had a good bite

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,793 Posts
Those look like solid rear axles, that's going to make it really hard to turn.
Why do you have them so far out behind the tractor ?

Why not have the front wheels right on the trans axle and then have the second axle directly behind it and drive it with a chain off the drive wheel.
If you put an independent axle on each side and power them with a chain on each side, then the differential would still work when making turns.
You also need to allow some way for the second axle to move up and down over uneven ground.

The next question is why ??
Unless you figure out a way for the weight of the tractor to be supported evenly by all 4-tires in the back, the extra 2-tires are just hanging out there doing nothing.

PS .. what happened to your idea of building a zero turn go-cart ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those look like solid rear axles, that's going to make it really hard to turn.
Why do you have them so far out behind the tractor ?

Why not have the front wheels right on the trans axle and then have the second axle directly behind it and drive it with a chain off the drive wheel.
If you put an independent axle on each side and power them with a chain on each side, then the differential would still work when making turns.
You also need to allow some way for the second axle to move up and down over uneven ground.

The next question is why ??
Unless you figure out a way for the weight of the tractor to be supported evenly by all 4-tires in the back, the extra 2-tires are just hanging out there doing nothing.

PS .. what happened to your idea of building a zero turn go-cart ?

i was just thinking if it would work ot not. and the zt go kart is in the making.im just getting parts for it.i need an engine still.my budget is 500 dallors. and i need time cause im always on call for the local orthopedic surgeons.:banghead3

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That's pretty ingenious. You're using the original trans axle to drive the other two axles. This transfers the the 'slip' of the new axles back to the old 'drive' axle. What I would recommend is to use some kind of axle equalizer between new axles. I presume each wheel on the new axles are independent of each other. Chains have a limited amount of twist available to them. Belts are more forgiving for this. Each of the axles twist relative to each other and also to the drive axle (which is hard mounted). A spring loaded idler on each of the belts would keep the necessary tension regardless of the change in distance between them. Four idlers, four belts and two equalizers. Not to mention fabbing mounting hardware and such....Neat idea.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,958 Posts
I'd use some rear axles from an old sit down mower that had differentials in them,then the steering issues wouldn't be a problem.. you could mount the tandem wheels farther forward so both wont e sticking way out behind it by making a subframe to bolt the two axles too and make a "walking beam" suspension like tractor trailers use..

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like the concept too. I also think the front set should remain on the trans axle. The back set could be mounted with some sort of swing arm with springs. And as mentioned, drive each rear wheel from the one in front of it, not a solid axle which will make all 4 wheels locked together and near impossible to turn.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It doesn't look like you have very many teeth contacting the drive sprocket on that unless you run some idlers to wrap the chain around it more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts