My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife got my a Stihl trimmer last father's day (nice job hun). First thing I noticed was there's play where the shaft housing hooks to the motor. See video below.

Is this normal?? I don't remember any my dad's whackers doing this...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,555 Posts
Hi WT2CubbyLover and

That much play is not normal....there should be some screws that you can tighten to bring the head tighter on to the shaft

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi WT2CubbyLover and View attachment 2495363
That much play is not normal....there should be some screws that you can tighten to bring the head tighter on to the shaft
Hi Mark and thanks for the welcome!

I figured that much play was incorrect. Unfortunately I'm not see any easily accessible screws to tighten it.

It's still under warranty so maybe they'll fix it.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Yeah, there should be no play, and you shouldn't be able to rotate the head on the shaft at all.

Edit: Yup, if it's under warranty, definitely drag it back there and make them fix it.

·
Super Moderator
10,555 Posts
Did the little lady order it on line or at a shop?...If you got it from a dealer they will probably be glad to take care of it while you wait...I would first call 1 (800) 467-8445 ...see if customer service can help you

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the little lady order it on line or at a shop?...If you got it from a dealer they will probably be glad to take care of it while you wait...I would first call 1 (800) 467-8445 ...see if customer service can help you
The little lady did her homework well and got it at our local ace hardware which is also an authorized dealer.

For $12 (buying a 6 pack of oil) I got warranty extended to 4 years.

Hope they don't gimme a hassle and say the play is "normal". It's been like that since she gave it to me.

·
Super Moderator
10,555 Posts
I am pretty sure that there is a screw or 2 that should hold it...just don't see them in your video...or in the manual that I found online

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am pretty sure that there is a screw or 2 that should hold it...just don't see them in your video...or in the manual that I found online
Only accessible screws are these and they hold the plastic together.

·
Super Moderator
8,281 Posts
My Stihl FS90R does the same thing. Walks around as I use it. since it's under warranty take it back and see what they say about it.

And Welcome to MTF! Good to have you here.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree take it in. Fixing a machine yourself that has a warranty defeats the purpose of buying a machine with a warranty.
This. Unless you KNOW you can fix it fast and cheap (or free) because it's just a minor problem, then definitely use your warranty. When you buy a product brand new, part of the price you pay is to cover any potential warranty repairs. You paid for it so use it! (y)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
good stuff. thanks for coming back and posting what the fix turned out to be.
Absolutely! Thank you everyone for talking me through this!

My next question is how many pulls should it take to fire my Stihl up? It's usually 3...

I was expecting 1 to 2 pulls max. I'm using non-ethanol 50:1 small engine fuel.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
3 pulls isn't bad. When I bought my FS110R, it was taking 10+ pulls to start when cold, and my dealer (Arjays in Edmonton) just verified that it did it, then shrugged and said "They can be hard to start." and handed it back. Eventually, I bought a knockoff carb and it starts much better.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
3 pulls isn't bad. When I bought my FS110R, it was taking 10+ pulls to start when cold, and my dealer (Arjays in Edmonton) just verified that it did it, then shrugged and said "They can be hard to start." and handed it back. Eventually, I bought a knockoff carb and it starts much better.
That would frustrate me to no end!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts