My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i have my 444 in HI gear It kinda bogs when pulling off from a stop or going into reverse. Even when i ease into it, still bogs just a little bit. And it does it at any RPM. Of course it does it worse at lower RPM's. Most notice when cutting the grass.......HI is to boggy and LOW is to slow for cutting grass.
This isn't an issue in low gear.......any thoughts?

·
10,839 Posts
It's a common complaint. (too slow in low, bogs in high) Sorry I can't help more.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Yes, it is a common complaint. There are a couple solutions. First off, there is an optional Hi Range gear that produces a slower ground speed.

Another trick is to buy a used drive motor from a 200 series tractor and install it on your 400. It will speed up both ranges but since there is no such thing as a free lunch, you do lose some low end torque.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought maybe there was something wrong with it. I'm guessing the only fix would be getting a 446 or 448 or just doing a complete engine upgraded.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Don't think for a second that your Kohler hasn't got gobs of torque because it has. Go ask anyone in the garden tractor pulling game about Kohler K engines. Today, we are in a hp crazy world and hp no longer means anything. I'll put your engine up against most ot the plus 20 hp twins found in big box store tractors any day of the week.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't think for a second that your Kohler hasn't got gobs of torque because it has. Go ask anyone in the garden tractor pulling game about Kohler K engines. Today, we are in a hp crazy world and hp no longer means anything. I'll put your engine up against most ot the plus 20 hp twins found in big box store tractors any day of the week.
Really, thats good to know. So if I were to upgrade to a new engine that might not fix my problem?

It is kinda embarrassing when people ask how much hp it has..."14hp"...thats it!?!?!

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Tell those people to go get their tractor and bring it over to your place. Then hook a chain or a strong rope onto the tow hitch of your tractor and there's. Both of you start your engines and take up the slack in the chain/rope. Then tell him to go ahead and show you how powerful his twenty-something hp tractor is by attempting to pull you.

As soon as you feel him tug you, then push your travel lever forward and drag him and his carcass all the way back to his house. We'll see who's embarrassed then.

Getting back to the issue. All the trans-axles are the same, no matter the hp. The drive motor is the difference between the 200 and 400 series plus the different axle shafts for six bolt instead of 5 bolt wheels. Lots of owners are very happy with swapping the drive motors so they can mow in low range at a faster speed.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
...It is kinda embarrassing when people ask how much hp it has..."14hp"...thats it!?!?!
Yes I get the same shocked look on their faces when I tell them my Case 195 is a 12hp and they then add "with wheels that big?" But don't get embarrassed by it - if they care to listen and want to learn then explain it to them, if not just let it go.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Even with my 446, if I put it in high gear it will bog down. Just sounds worse when it's a single cylinder. My 222 will sound like it want to die when I am in high range. Do not worry. Get used to mowing slower, but getting a much better cut than you have ever had.
Terry

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tell those people to go get their tractor and bring it over to your place. Then hook a chain or a strong rope onto the tow hitch of your tractor and there's. Both of you start your engines and take up the slack in the chain/rope. Then tell him to go ahead and show you how powerful his twenty-something hp tractor is by attempting to pull you.

As soon as you feel him tug you, then push your travel lever forward and drag him and his carcass all the way back to his house. We'll see who's embarrassed then.

Getting back to the issue. All the trans-axles are the same, no matter the hp. The drive motor is the difference between the 200 and 400 series plus the different axle shafts for six bolt instead of 5 bolt wheels. Lots of owners are very happy with swapping the drive motors so they can mow in low range at a faster speed.
What's involved in replacing the drive motor? Just take the 400 off and put 200 series in??? Or do you have to change the axle shafts also??? If its just changing out the drive motor it seems to be pretty easy.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, so with a 200 series drive motor it will be a little faster in LO gear and little slower in HI, is that right?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
No, ground speed will increase in both ranges ( see post # 3)
With far less power or torque ..... I tried it on my 448. The low range ground speed was greatly improved for mowing but the high range speed was dangerous IMO. I reluctately switched it back to avoid an accident down the road. Once in a while someone else drives the tractor and I have no control over what they may do for a jolly ....

:trink40:

·
Registered
790 Posts
First off, there is an optional Hi Range gear that produces a slower ground speed.
Castoff,

Interesting. Are you saying that the factory offered an optional gear set? If so, how common was that?

JN

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With far less power or torque ..... I tried it on my 448. The low range ground speed was greatly improved for mowing but the high range speed was dangerous IMO. I reluctately switched it back to avoid an accident down the road. Once in a while someone else drives the tractor and I have no control over what they may do for a jolly ....

:trink40:
You say "far less power and torque"......so that means the tractor would be come more boggy right??? It just would be nice to cut my grass at a decent speed and not have to worry about the engine bogging when going in and out of forward/reverse......

·
Registered
790 Posts
The bogging described above is (I suspect) a function of the momentary lag while the engine governor recovers from the instantaneous load created by the hydraulic drive when you move the travel lever. The hydraulic drive does not provide the 'slippage' factor inherent in hydrostatic or belt drive systems thus creating the instant increase in load along with the occasional whip-lash inducing lurches when the travel lever is moved too fast.

If an engine is in good tune I don't think that the bog will stall the engine but it is a noticeable phenomenon rather unique to Case/Ingy GT's.

JN

1 - 20 of 25 Posts