My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, I shorted it troubleshooting the charging system! It shows no resistance across it.
Is this part normally used on a six volt system?
What would normal voltage be at the coil post (front distributor) on a six volt system?
Also, is it possible for coil discharge voltage to get back into the charging circuit? Voltage reading out of generator and across battery jumps wildly spiking up to hundreds? of volts. :eek:
thanks guys,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
That is the dash mounted resistor.

the resistance acros the resistor is ver low.. like .5 ohms cold, and 1.8 ohms hot.

typical consumer grade volt ohm meter is not sensitive enough to measure those low ohm readings.

Also.. sounds like you have a digital vom.. digital vom's are next to useless when trying to check voltage on units with brushes or points.

both make 'noise' that trick the dvom into inacurate readings.

Mostly those resistors fail 'open'.. IE.. infinite ohms... I've yet to see one fail 'shorted'.. unless it is shorting out to a piece of wire across the terminals.. or the shield over it.. or mount screws to the dash.

yes.. that resistor is used with the oem 6v front mount systems. typically, with points closed, you want to see 3-4.5v at the top of the coil... when she is cold.. you will see the higher number.. and warm.. the lower number.

soundguy

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
There are ways to compensate using a fw components.. however.. a cheap 2.99$ harbor freight volt ohm meter is worth having in the tool box for these occasions..

soundguy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right Soundguy!!!
Analog meter shows a stable 5.5 volts @ 1/2 throttle with junk battery installed. I will start a new thread if I can't find what I need to know about generators using this forums "search" function.
Thanks again,
rick

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Soundguy!!!
I think i am OK for now. New 6V battery reads 6.3 volts with tractor turned off and 6.4 volts at 1/2 throttle. I need to use the tractor, so that is fine for now. I'll just recharge the battery, if necesary.
Just installed the new ballast resistor! Battery voltage 6.3V, coil voltage 3.1V (points closed).
Excellent service from Just8Ns.com, fast shipping.
Thanks again,
rick
PS, (below) planting corn in my back yard!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Thanks Soundguy!!!
I think i am OK for now. New 6V battery reads 6.3 volts with tractor turned off and 6.4 volts at 1/2 throttle. I need to use the tractor, so that is fine for now. I'll just recharge the battery, if necesary.
Just installed the new ballast resistor! Battery voltage 6.3V, coil voltage 3.1V (points closed).
Excellent service from Just8Ns.com, fast shipping.
Thanks again,
rick
PS, (below) planting corn in my back yard!
Gennies not charging...

if this still has the 3 brush 1-wire genny, try adjusting the 3rd brushg output up.. if nothing, then check the cutout by jumpering it.. it might be bad / stuck open.

a surefire test is a motor test.

with engine off, slip belt off genny, adjust 3rd brush to high, jumper cutout.. genny should spin.. if she don't.. she needs service.

soundguy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gennies not charging...

if this still has the 3 brush 1-wire genny, try adjusting the 3rd brushg output up.. if nothing, then check the cutout by jumpering it.. it might be bad / stuck open.

a surefire test is a motor test.

with engine off, slip belt off genny, adjust 3rd brush to high, jumper cutout.. genny should spin.. if she don't.. she needs service.

soundguy
Not sure what genny I have. Can you tell from picture?
at any rate, I don't have time to deal with it now. maybe in a month or so! I'll let you know. I'll have questions for sure!
thanks,
Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If your not going to deal with it now.. there's no reason for me to give you any diagnostic info????

should be WAY easy to tell if it is a 1 wire or 3 wire genny!!!???!!!???

soundguy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your not going to deal with it now.. there's no reason for me to give you any diagnostic info????

should be WAY easy to tell if it is a 1 wire or 3 wire genny!!!???!!!???

soundguy
Yes, I do not need any diagnostic info at this time. But I would ike to know how to identify a 1 wire vs. 3 wire generator!
Thanks,
Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts