My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious how the bent link was shaped originally. I cant see it in the manuals for 38" decks at searstractormanuals. Does it really lift the left link directly? Or is it supposed to be straight and affect something else?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks migraineman! This ...

... was exactly what I searched :) The lever on which the connecting link lays is obviously bent originally.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The previous owner had welded an ugly-blob-o-metal on the lift arm, presumably to resolve a wear issue. I put a dab of waterproof grease on the contact area occasionally.

On the opposite side, I had to replace the adjuster bolt because the head was worn. The wear allowed the mower link to wedge between the bolt head and the lift arm. I ground a hex bolt to fit (and close the gap,) and added some grease there too.

Not an elegant linkage, but it's effective and allows the deck to float off the lift arms when going over uneven terrain.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it had been more comprehensible if my parts tractor had been more complete. But PO picked it apart after engine seased and when I got it, the deck had a little 3hp engine on it and a front wheel. I didnt ask, but my guess was an intention to make either a trailed or a pushed mower out of it. The engine sat on some welded, bent steel bars and those I nowadays know originally were the 2 front suspension links...

Anyway, the suspension I will now fit 12-13cm (5") further to the front of the tractor framing as the younger 48" deck is suspended a bit different than the old original. Intention is to make longer links from the bosses just front of the footrests and hinge them to the rear knobs on the deck. The original rear links I will leave unused or maybe be forced to remove and have the suspension to affect the longer links instead. But time will tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts