My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first gravely last week. Found another one today and talked to the guy on the phone. He said he thinks it is a 60's model, has a 6 volt electric start and what he said is the rare sickle bar mower. Not sure if rare is right, but I still think it is cool.

He wants $200 for it, but I ain't even got the one I bought running yet. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Just got my first gravely last week. Found another one today and talked to the guy on the phone. He said he thinks it is a 60's model, has a 6 volt electric start and what he said is the rare sickle bar mower. Not sure if rare is right, but I still think it is cool.

He wants $200 for it, but I ain't even got the one I bought running yet. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Sickle bars are not rare. Does it run? It probably should at that price unless it and the sickle are in good shape, or it's an L8. Most sickle mowers need work at this point.

Another thing to watch out for is the starter clutch on an electric start tractor. Many of them are worn out at this point. I have 4 electric start tractors that I've tested, and only one of the starter clutches will reliably engage. I have a couple more that I need to test.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said it ran when parked, but that has been a long time ago. I'm just going to pass on this one, I need to get mine going before I bring more stuff in the garage.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Well, one of the easiest ways to get parts is to buy another tractor :D You could always shoot him an offer and see what happens.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
You could always shoot him an offer and see what happens.
Classic G.A.S. symptom. Offer him half that. The worst that can happen is he'll say yes and you'll slip into full-blown out-of-control G.A.S. :Stop:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ya, I've recently learned that you shouldn't accept "It ran fine when I parked it" as a reason to pay more than what it is worth in non-running condition.
I purchased a 10A that has a bad fuel pump ($40 for an aftermarket replacement), needs the carb rebuit ($15 in parts and 30 min labor) and new fuel lines/filters.
When it's all said and done I'll have an additional $60 in parts and a couple of hours labor cleaning up the fuel system. On top of paying the going rate for 10a "in running condition".
Seller said it ran fine and he had used it only a week or two earlier to clear snow. I got there and it wouldn't run for more than 15 sec. but assured me it would be a simple adjustment.
If it doesn't run, assume the worst and hope for the best.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a thought about the sickle bar. While the standard bar isn't rare, wasn't there a long version (50"?) that is very rare?

You never know...the guy may know he really does have something rare.

Yeah, doubtful....

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Ya, I've recently learned that you shouldn't accept "It ran fine when I parked it" as a reason to pay more than what it is worth in non-running condition.
I purchased a 10A that has a bad fuel pump ($40 for an aftermarket replacement), needs the carb rebuit ($15 in parts and 30 min labor) and new fuel lines/filters.
When it's all said and done I'll have an additional $60 in parts and a couple of hours labor cleaning up the fuel system. On top of paying the going rate for 10a "in running condition".
Seller said it ran fine and he had used it only a week or two earlier to clear snow. I got there and it wouldn't run for more than 15 sec. but assured me it would be a simple adjustment.
If it doesn't run, assume the worst and hope for the best.

The snow has finally cleared out (for the most part) here in northern MI. You shoulda waited a little longer - my tractors run!! :fing20:

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
He said it ran when parked, but that has been a long time ago. I'm just going to pass on this one, I need to get mine going before I bring more stuff in the garage.

If you just have a garage to work with and prefer to keep your machines indoors, you have limitations. You should be starting to look for alternative / additional storage locations now - G.A.S. will progressively take hold of you and sometimes leave you with limited clarity.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The snow has finally cleared out (for the most part) here in northern MI. You shoulda waited a little longer - my tractors run!! :fing20:
I may still run up your way. I only have a few hours a week to work on things. I've already postponed opening my camper by a week to catch up on things around the house.
Your red com12 would look good next to my red 5645

I could sell the Com 10A I just got. Atleast it will be a good runner whern i'm done with the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
I may still run up your way. I only have a few hours a week to work on things. I've already postponed opening my camper by a week to catch up on things around the house.
Your red com12 would look good next to my red 5645

I could sell the Com 10A I just got. Atleast it will be a good runner whern i'm done with the fuel system.
Holler anytime - I might have a couple machines ready by then. Good to see you're getting some experiencing in working on them - always worthwhile!!

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Just a thought about the sickle bar. While the standard bar isn't rare, wasn't there a long version (50"?) that is very rare?

Yeah, doubtful....
42" and 48" were the common ones. 60" is the rare bear.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Well Plumbob your now infected with G.A.S. FlaDon is known to be the main carrier and his visit to your thread has spelled your doom.
welcome to sick bay.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
42" and 48" were the common ones. 60" is the rare bear.
I know a guy that has two 60 inchers, and I know where several more are. I bet the big bars were more common the farther west you went.

They are HEAVY on the front of an L. I only had to run one for a minute to learn that!

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts

Yeah, doubtful....
One of the 60" bars are fairly rare. Most bars have 3" teeth spacing, but Gravely sold some with 2" spacing. Those are rare as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts