My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Simplicity Coronet 2690245 34" rider mower - it is giving me fits right now. To start it the brake must be in, as it should due to that plunger type switch the brake linkage/rod pushes in, but as soon as I let out on that brake, it dies. I just take my foot off the brake and it dies. And if it's of any value, I also tried forcing that gray plunger switch to remain pused in (with some good tape), and of course it does not die when I take my foot off because the tape on it makes it think my foot is still on it. And in that mode I can drive it in forward or reverse just fine. But as soon as I pull up on the PTO(?) to start the blade it dies. So, I replaced that gray plunger switch, just in case, and same issue still. I then replaced the RMO switch up on the console that the key fits in. Same issue.

Then also, just to test the seat safety switch, I bypassed it (just to test it), and it still does the same thing. The only other switch I'm aware of is the little plunger type switch down at the back of the mower that is pressed when it's put in reverse, and I pulled it out and tested it with an ohm meter and it seems to be working just fine.

I'm really at a loss here - can anyone give me some direction please? Im partially disabled and using my old push mower isn't ideal, so I need to get this simplicity up and running as soon as possible.

Any help will surely be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I would still suspect the seat switch or its wiring. You may not really have bypassed it when you tried. The connectors are made in such a way that defeating them is tricky, and we are not allowed to discuss the method(s) on this forum. How, exactly, did you attempt the bypass?

Make sure that the switch is really being activated when you sit in the seat. Wear in the seat or its mount could cause the switch to not sense the operator in the seat. You could pull the switch out of the seat and hold it by hand to see if it works. Make sure to re-install the switch when you're done - it's there for a good reason!

This is a classic case of the seat switch or its wiring being defective, although there could be other causes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post. Yeah, I'm sure the seat switch is working properly. It prevents me from starting it unless I'm sitting in the seat. I only mentioned bypassing it for a try just to mention that switch is working properly. But I've looked at some parts diagrams and I don't really see any other switches, unless I'm just missing something. So if not a switch, then what? I'm at a loss here. It just dies when I move my foot off the brake.

Oh we'll, I may have to take it in after all if I can't get this thing running.

Thanks again! Have a great day.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, on most machines, the seat switch is not in the starter circuit, so won't prevent starting if you're not in the seat. I know my Conquest and Sears are like that. I often start them while not in the seat.

I'd take a very good look at all the wiring to make sure a wire isn't broken or pinched. Other than the seat switch or wiring, I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much appreciated. Yeah, on the Simplicity the seat switch is definitely a show stopper if you're not seated. It totally prevents it from starting, and even when you're running it, it will die if you just raise up a bit like to pick something up off the ground. But it's not doing anything unusual and seems to be doing what it's suppose to.

As for oil pressure related, I doubt it. I change the oil regularly, it don't burn a drop, and don't smoke at all. And when the engine starts up it runs like a top.

Thanks for giving it some thought though. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
On my conquest, as long as the brake is set I can start it while not on the seat; I can even run the PTO, but as soon as that brake comes off I need to be in the seat or the engine stops. I do not have any RIO on mine so I cannot comment there.

The wiring diagram proves to be elusive, but partstree has the bundle diagram;
elec.gif

It looks to me like there could be four switches;
1) seat
2) RIO
3) pedal (assuming brake)
4) transmission

I also see a solenoid and a circuit breaker to investigate.
Hopefully this is at least somewhat helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my conquest, as long as the brake is set I can start it while not on the seat; I can even run the PTO, but as soon as that brake comes off I need to be in the seat or the engine stops. I do not have any RIO on mine so I cannot comment there.

The wiring diagram proves to be elusive, but partstree has the bundle diagram;
View attachment 297610

It looks to me like there could be four switches;
1) seat
2) RIO
3) pedal (assuming brake)
4) transmission

I also see a solenoid and a circuit breaker to investigate.
Hopefully this is at least somewhat helpful.
The simplicity is just like that. If the brake is on and locked I can pretty much do anything but not with it released. But like I said I changed that switch anyway, as well as the RMO switch. And I tested the transmission switch near the back and it tested fine. The seat switch has not been replaced but its sure behaving exactly as it should. I'm beginning to think it might actually be a broken wire or something but I'm not able to see any problems by looking at it and wiring s not my strong suit. I'll give it another good inspection though.

Thanks so much for the input! Very much appreciated!

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
My Conquest will shut down if I get out of the seat with the PTO on, no matter if the brake is set or not. Seems like a good safety feature to me, although there are times I wish it wouldn't. If I have to get off the machine to move a stick or rock, I have to kill the PTO AND put the brake on before I dismount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts