My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking on fb market place, I come across a good looking john deere lt, it was in good shape, guys was asking a 1000$ for it, I said to myself, ok, thats a good price,until I read the description. Description said: everything is good, except, it has a blown engine. so, he is basically selling a john deere for a grant with a blown engine. Whats is wrong with people the area where I live. they are just crazy on the price

·
Super Moderator
37,141 Posts
At least you picked up that it had a blown engine, likely someone won't and buy it before realizing it.

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
560 Posts
It's like that everywhere man ....I see it all the time myself ...One of those in good running order and ready to cut grass can fetch 1000 to 1400 maybealittlemore...With a blown engine maybe 500 tops if it's in mint condition

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I don't know the Deere line as well as most people on here as that's primarily the "go to" brand for many people. And that appears to be a cheaper one to me, but I very well could be wrong. But had my Kubota had a blown engine when I bought it, and I could have gotten it for a grand, I'd have still jumped on it, as the cost of a new engine would have still made for a pretty reasonable price. Maybe that Deere's worth a grand with a blown engine? I don't know.

·
Registered
298 Posts
They were about $1800 new. Lower end Deere. Nothing special. Should be similar to my LA125. I bought it 8 years ago with 20 hours on it for $1000. It blew a headgasket at 200 hours exactly (common on those). I replaced it myself since I had nothing to lose. It now has 370+ hours and doesn't use any oil. Starts right up.

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Super Moderator
37,141 Posts
I don't know the Deere line as well as most people on here as that's primarily the "go to" brand for many people. And that appears to be a cheaper one to me, but I very well could be wrong. But had my Kubota had a blown engine when I bought it, and I could have gotten it for a grand, I'd have still jumped on it, as the cost of a new engine would have still made for a pretty reasonable price. Maybe that Deere's worth a grand with a blown engine? I don't know.

A new motor or motor repair would get you close to the original value:

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
560 Posts
They were about $1800 new. Lower end Deere. Nothing special. Should be similar to my LA125. I bought it 8 years ago with 20 hours on it for $1000. It blew a headgasket at 200 hours exactly (common on those). I replaced it myself since I had nothing to lose. It now has 370+ hours and doesn't use any oil. Starts right up.
1800 new that's American that same machine cots about 25 up new in canada depending on where u get it ...

Reactions: Fx4_5.0Man

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
A new motor or motor repair would get you close to the original value:
A new engine, including the labor for installation, would cost more than the original price of the tractor if you paid John Deere's prices for the replacement engine and their price for labor. You might be able to get a cheaper engine like a predator for around $800.00 and then you would heave to modify things for it to fit and work, so you're still close to the original price. I would spend the same money on a new tractor and get the warranty.

·
Registered
298 Posts
A new engine would be easy to put on, but you has to ask is it really worth the price of one since the tractor doesn't really have anything special about it. As it sits, that thing might be worth $200/$300 depending on the hours and the condition of the hydro.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking on fb market place, I come across a good looking john deere lt, it was in good shape, guys was asking a 1000$ for it, I said to myself, ok, thats a good price,until I read the description. Description said: everything is good, except, it has a blown engine. so, he is basically selling a john deere for a grant with a blown engine. Whats is wrong with people the area where I live. they are just crazy on the price View attachment 2507684
Not sure where you/this is located but the hood alone is about $825 and the motor you can buy for $640 so, overall, good price if everything else is good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not sure where you/this is located but the hood alone is about $825 and the motor you can buy for $640 so, overall, good price if everything else is good.
When you break things down into a parts perspective/list you can easily add up the cost such as what you just did. BUT, the market isn't always going to work like that. We have tons of old equipment that we have done just that with... buy whole trucks because the engine alone is $10K plus.

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
560 Posts
I buy allot of tractors for parts ...ones that are whooped but the engine is good just for this reason ...generally I buy a parts machine for 150 to 250 depending on what it is and put it in a machine that's going to make a good buck...I have a shipping container full of used parts so my cost is low ....we do have new stuff as well...Been buying and selling for a very long time now ...U just have to think of investment and the return u will make...

Reactions: deereboy55

·
Jack of all trades
210 Posts
The last Deere I bought with a blown engine, was an LA115. I paid 30 bucks for it with 370 hours. I bought another tractor off ebay with no deck but a good engine for a hundred bucks, and I've been using that mower for 2 seasons... LOL! I'd give a benny or two for that one if it had low hours.

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
560 Posts
The last Deere I bought with a blown engine, was an LA115. I paid 30 bucks for it with 370 hours. I bought another tractor off ebay with no deck but a good engine for a hundred bucks, and I've been using that mower for 2 seasons... LOL! I'd give a benny or two for that one if it had low hours.
Most I paid was 500 for one and flipped it when done for 1400....the least I paid was 150 and re powered it with a 150 dollar motor and flipped for 1400 as well it had new drive belt battery and blades so I made a Good profit...oh and I tubed the tires

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Sounds to me like someone blew up their mower after a season or two and is trying to recoup their cost.

"Oh....I was supposed to check the oil? The Home Depot guy never mentioned that...."

Reactions: Prestigious1
1 - 20 of 68 Posts