My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a line on a 2007 2305 JD, it has had its engine rebuilt after being overfilled with oil. It has 136 hours on the new engine. It is still under warranty until Dec 19 and all the work has been done by the dealer. I am wondering if this is a good idea, what are the pitfalls?

Evan

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
I;m suspicious . . .

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Just how over full did they fill it?? I saw a fella fill his chevy 350 to the top of the valve cover cap with oil...

I would wanna see all the paper work on this unit if i was buying it.. AND it would have to be a smoken deal......

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
A 2305 ALREADY REBUILT???...:Stop:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I would be very leary of this one too.

Something doesn't smell just quite right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently, the hired help, filled it right to the top of the oil cap. I am not familiar with diesel engines but would it not just blow all the seals etc requiring replacement, what more damage could it cause.

Evan

·
Registered
618 Posts
From what I understand,overfilling the engine oil to the extent that the hired help did,puts the crank in the oil,which leads to air getting in the oil from the foaming which is not good for any lubrication system. How long did this thing run under those conditions? Long enough to ruin the bearings maybe? So,if that's the case,a rebuild may have been in order.

Greg

·
Registered
517 Posts
Maybe that much oil in it caused it to become a runaway engine and that did the damage. Or maybe it hydro-locked and wrecked itself when they tried to start it.

Something is missing in the story.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Good point SP... overfilling to the degree likely would force oil past the rings & any oil topside of the piston is fuel to a diesel!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can you get them to extend the warranty as part of the deal? December isn't enough time to find out if anything is wrong unless you're using it full time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts