My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I believe its over priced as well, and what does he mean by "little knock", however I do understand that they bring more $ in Canada?

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's over priced and all older Kohlers DO NOT have a slight knock! I'd stay clear of it if it were me. With a SLIGHT KNOCK, the price should be around 5 or 6 hundred bucks. JMHO. PJ

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
In the USA that package would be worth a maximum of about $800. Last time I checked the Canadian dollar was worth more than $.50 US.

·
5000 posts and climbing
5,454 Posts
Why would he say all older kohler engines have a knock? I've heard many without a knock.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm forced to AGREE with my esteemed colleagues...

Fine machine, when it's running right.

But, MOTOR KNOCKING isn't good. No, they don't ALL knock!
I have 4 Kohlers and NONE of them knock.

You have to ask yourself... are you willing to invest in a rebuild, or another engine?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Those K-Series Kohlers do have a distinctive sound that some people may refer to as a knock. They definately sound different than a B & S engine......don't you think? :rauch10:

The price seems to be kind of high anyway, though.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Gidday Gidday eh?

Newbie here wondering about this deal?

Whatcha think?
Actually, it's a very bad deal and I'm speaking as a fellow Ontarian. Based on what was listed in the ad, I wouldn't pay more than $800.00 for that tractor. And if I went and looked at it, only to find that the motor has a real knock in it, then the offer would drop to $300.00.

The Seller is correct when he says that Kohler K engines have been known to develop a knock in them. Case issued a bulletin to the dealers about this problem back in the seventies and offered some solutions for dealers to try. It was considered to be pre-ignition and could sometimes be solved by altering plug gap and point gap.

However, you are located close to the Quebec border and prices for Case and Ingersoll products are higher there then they are in central Ontario. If you want one of these, my advice is to look south of the border and then bring it back. Right now, the Canadian buck is very strong. Newer tractors than that one can be bought in the USA for less money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The knock he says is there at idle only, not under load or high rpm. I personally haven't heard it. I might go have a look at it in a few weeks if it's still there but I agree it's not worth $1500!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The knock he says is there at idle only, not under load or high rpm. I personally haven't heard it. I might go have a look at it in a few weeks if it's still there but I agree it's not worth $1500!
Teroma
I missed the add, but depending on distance let me know and I might be able to come look with you - don't worry I won't take it, I am happy with mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Teroma
I missed the add, but depending on distance let me know and I might be able to come look with you - don't worry I won't take it, I am happy with mine.
Hey man thanks for the offer. The dude with the 444 hasn't returned my last email so I dunno bout that one. I found this one this morning though, let me know what y'all think of it. It's very close to you RichardP if you're near Ottawa.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Tiller - $350.00
Blower $350.00
3 point $400.00
F-27 - $125.00
W/W $100.00
F/W brkt $30.00
Rear PTO $200.00
Total $1555.00

Value of 446 with deck - $300.00 to $600.00 depending upon over-all condition and engine condition specifically.

In other words, the asking price for the package is "reasonable" but certainly worth bargaining hard over it. With trailer in tow and cash in hand to show you are a serious buyer and not a tire kicker, the Seller will likely work out a deal on the spot with you. After all, he wants to sell and he wants to close this chapter with the least amount of hassle.

Packages like this are getting harder to find so if you can use all of it, then don't waste any time. I bet that he has a set of tire chains for it and by all means, ask him for the four cast iron weights that go with that bracket laying on the deck. That's the front weight kit for the tiller. Those four weights are worth at least another $100.00 and the chains, another $30.00.

Above prices are all in Canadian dollars but your mileage may vary.

Yes.... she's an ugly old beast but that's just cosmetics. Strip her to the frame and rebuild from the ground up with fresh paint and decals. Do that and you will have a tractor that will look as good as anything out there today and will outlast many of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank You Caseguytoo, that was exactly the kind of reply I was looking for.
I figured with the attachments and 3pt he was in the ballpark for price. I will be contacting him soon about this deal. I just finished moving and need to get settled in here first. It's only bout an hour from me so....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank You Caseguytoo, that was exactly the kind of reply I was looking for.
I figured with the attachments and 3pt he was in the ballpark for price. I will be contacting him soon about this deal. I just finished moving and need to get settled in here first. It's only bout an hour from me so....
This is on my side of the river, so if your coming over, and want a 2nd opinion, let me know.
I just did a bit of digging, I bet this is in Buckingham, and it appears that this guy may pick up and re-sell L&G equipment, check out his other adds.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
This forum doesn't inflate values. Values are what they are, depending what the demand is in your area of the continent. However, many owners have a highly inflated idea on what their tractor is worth. When that unit doesn't bring a single call, maybe the Seller will come to the realization that his asking price is too high.

Even the so-called rebuilt motor can be a scary thing because what that Seller's idea of "rebuilt" and my idea of rebuilt is are likely two different things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is on my side of the river, so if your coming over, and want a 2nd opinion, let me know.
I just did a bit of digging, I bet this is in Buckingham, and it appears that this guy may pick up and re-sell L&G equipment, check out his other adds.
I didn't know you were from across the pond! It is in Buckinham so it's a bit more than an hour from me. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts